Chapter 42 Fronts

<Adrienne's Room>

"Frederick, what ails you?" Adrienne stroked his hair and introduced the most soothing accent into her tone. They were in her bed, a comforting and cozy fluff of a design that her parents had recently bought her. Adrienne sat, feet over one side, while Frederick rested his head against her thighs. He lulled in the comfort and noted that Adrienne had never changed. Her thighs were as steeled as ever. She never skipped training and he loved her tenacity. He'd train with her every day if his head weren't stuffed with politics. Somehow the mundane task of personal upkeep became leisurely when spent with Adrienne.

"I want to read," Frederick muttered. His hands shot up to the ceiling and began turning the pages of a phantom book.

Adrienne chuckled and continued stroking his head. She remembered the time she worried that he was promiscuous and unfaithful. He thought her to be tyrannical and overbearing then. Now they were entwined by comfort and love.

"What do you want to read?"

Frederick stopped flipping his imaginary book. He scratched his chin, pondering what series he wished to start. To his shock and horror, he couldn't remember the last time he looked at a news catalog or the International Reader's Behest for upcoming books. His mouth hung open, flabbergasted at his negligence for his hobby.

"Too many options?"

Frederick shook his head, tickling Adri's thighs. She held back laughter but she could never keep a poker face in front of Frederick. He zeroed in on her mirth and thought the worst.

"I'm not that indulgent." He muttered, rolling his head away from her. He sulked but didn't leave her lap, the support they provided was something he'd never give up.

"You're overthinking things," Adriene sighed. She cupped his cheek and turned his head to face her. "In saying no through your actions. My thighs were feathered."

"So you're saying my hair is unkempt."

"Fred you need to relax. If your hair is unkempt it's my fault as I've been playing with it for the past hour."

"Oh, that's right." Faint red dotted his cheeks as he turned away again. Adrienne continued to stroke his head. The hair was soft and silky, he conditioned it well. She wanted to know why, the hint of curiosity to know more about Frederick always acted on the smallest things. Perhaps it was for her to play comfortably. Perhaps he treated his hair as a formality for the noble courts. She let her mind wander away. Like a diligent miner, she steadily picked at the conundrum for some time.

The silence between them was comforting. They only needed to spend time together. While some would believe it was wasted on laying down and sitting, they felt no urge to change the status quo. Let it be, let them have their moment of peace.

"Do you think we've matured?"

Adrienne searched for an answer while Frederick patiently waited. They had moved past the embarrassing stage of their relationship long ago. They had long burned their polite masks and communicated at every stage. A relationship was something both sides had to work on and Adrienne would say that they had invested their all into their love. She was content with confiding her secrets to him and though Fred was stubborn, he'd always confide everything to her. They faced their challenges. Frederick's desire to keep his promises and avenge Will had passed. He didn't venture beyond her boundaries when it came to his safety. If a problem arose she knew they'd solve it with ease.

"Yes," Adrienne replied simply. Her answer carried the stamp of authority that not even the church could match. Her composure remained the same and she continued to stroke his head as gently as before.