Chapter 69 The Precipice

<Schariac Manor>

"Vera, you've got dark circles."

Eleanor's hand reached out to pull the Vera's face in. An annoyed cat, pouting but doing nothing to resist was cupped in her palms. Vera blinked languidly but did not push away Eleanor's concern.

"Drowsy you are. You're not as sharp as you usually are. You're not pulling away either-"

"This isn't a normal occurrence," Vera pried her face from Eleanor's hands. A dogged look flashed on her face, disappearing in the next moment. "I didn't think you were one to steal faces."

"What's making you lose sleep?" Eleanor pushed past Vera's wall. Her newfound height aided her advance. Vera arched her neck just to meet Eleanor's eyes. "Well?"

There were few people around the Schariac's mess hall. Unlike the Valkyries who were given, a luxurious barrack to stay in Vera was given her old room. Spacious and complete with servants. They were nuisances but also quite helpful.

"I'm fine. I lost track of time." Vera grumbled, her eyes scanned the hall. It was only the two of them. Not a servant in sight. That was odd. "Who brought these concerns to you? Was it Sebastion? Haynes? Mila?"

"Glance at your reflection. They may acknowledge your troubles but they don't have the status to interfere."

"They told me to sleep more."

"Out of concern."

"I reassured them. You as well. I have nothing to confide. I just lost track of time. I'm not abusing soap or other substances."

Eleanor's horns quivered, Vera was telling a partial truth. Pushing further would reveal nothing and it was impossible to convince her otherwise.

"Fine we'll be heading out today but you'll stay home. Paid leave."

"On whose authority?"

"Mine as Vice Captain."

"Quite corrupt, I wonder who changed the little girl into such a figure."

"Vera."

Eleanor's voice was soft and her eyes tender. A guilty sting stung Vera's heart. Acting deceitfully to her other savior was harder than she initially thought. Her movements sharpened and she gave Eleanor a stiff nod.

"Get some rest. It'll only be me going out anyway. Kallen will host a joint public demonstration with our Valkyries I'll be cleansing Honkai residue fields."

"Not anyone else?"

"No need."

"Ellie, is this your decision?"

"Oh, now you're worrying about me. Don't worry the Scharaics don't need countless children. A gift of consequence."

"Then are you going to bolster Kallen's reputation? After all your family has done Germany was declared to be the safest country in all the lands. Improving that standing isn't worth it."

"It's my choice."

"Then stay safe."

<Kallen's Room>

Joint training was smoother than expected. Alice, Cohline, and Cathy were already familiar with the Cologne Valkyries. They created a warm and conjoined atmosphere that saw all of them as comrades. A few people were missing, Vera, Olivia, and Eleanor. Olivia was focusing on learning German medicine. Eleanor had informed Kallen of Vera's circumstances.

"She's not feeling well and wishes to push herself. I used my authority as Vice-captain to make her rest."

"Thank you and what of your plans?"