Chapter 49 The Divide

<Paris Central District Market>

"I thought those times were over but oh my."

If there was one thing the church couldn't control it was gossip. Rumors and enigmas always encircled events that the ill-informed spun into conspiracy and legend. While a degree of influence could be exerted, such whispers were a tumbling boulder down a steep mountain. The man below could never roll it up over the mountain. That was the case with the two women now, they conversed over a fruit stall, their faces shaded by the overhead canvas.

"Do we still trust the Paladin's family? Have we truly vanquished the devil?"

"Overseer Cain spoke. He says the heretics and followers of the Revelation were responsible for stoking fear and panic. He says they're devil worshipers. Liars."

"Be that as it may, but me thinks it strange that the acts of the devil persist. It's been almost a decade, scores of years since he blessed us with a miracle. They say he stole credit from another. They say he pushed the Plague onto the people."

"It is as they say. It was the Devil's trickery."

"The devil's trickery... Do you think the Devil still lurks among us? Is that why the hordes have become so angsty?"

"They should be angry that we vanquished ultimate evil. I reckon there's no sounder reason than that!"

"Is that what the church says, Denice?"

"I," The regular shopper paused like she had been caught in a lie. Her basket swayed and the scents of the slums reached her nose. "We're in central, I'd like a few stalks of celery."

"Denice, I sell fruit."

"Yes, I remember."

Movement flickered, she could see two guards approaching them from the corner of her eye. She didn't face them. She turned away from her supposed friend. Her lip trembled and her faith waned. Seeing her indecision, the stall keeper snatched a hearty cluster of strawberries.

"Best not think too hard of the times. You needn't pay a livre. Greet little Jeannette for me." The stall-keeper smiled warmly and gently placed the produce into Denice's wicker basket. Being a regular could afford certain privileges and in Paris everyone was on the same side.

Denice didn't move, she couldn't because the guards were closing in to the oblivious stall-keeper. She pursed her lips and found the little unity she had left. She couldn't face her friend anymore but she still had something to say.

"Edme, half a fort-night ago why did you visit the Bel Aire cemetery?"

Edme looked surprised but she smiled it off.

"I was once a servant to a rather reputable noble family. Barons, their title only lasted one generation but it was my honor to serve them. They died protecting the city, I tend to their graves."

"Were you doing anything else? I found it odd..."

"Ha Denice, there's no need to worry. Call me out next time. We can greet them together."

"Is that so, may I ask their names?"

"Denice? You're awfully curious today. Well I was just a street girl when they found me-"

The guards closed in and Denice could feel her sweat condensate on her back. Her bosom became heavy. She adjusted her cap sleeves to pass air. The fresh breeze did not alleviate her sticky discomfort.

"You entered the morgue. The coroner's key was in your hands."

"Denice, what is this about?"

The good natured slipped from her cheeks. A befuddled expression replaced Edme's demeanor. A minute frown that revealed dimples soured the fruit below her. Suddenly, two large shadows loomed over Denice.