Chapter 72 Restrospective Dawn

<Basel>

"Kallen,"

Of all the people searching for her, it was Ava who found her. Her qualifications as a Valkyrie scout showed as she placed herself beside Kallen. They sat under the church bell, high up on a tower. It was much too early for the church bells to ring but the perfect time for morning practice and role call.

"Ava," Kallen greeted her knees tucked to her chest.

Dark eye bags reached Kallen's cheeks. Though the morning sun had not risen Ava could see Kallen's state. Her feet dangled from the ledge swinging periodically as they both waited for the sun to rise.

"Do you think I have high expectations?"

"As a captain?"

Kallen shook her head. Following Kallen's line of sight Ava spied two guards. An old man, seemingly drunk was forking over a few pence. She was too far away to make out the conversation but judged that the guards had a tight grip over the man's arm. An alleyway hid their action from the eyes of the street.

"For the church?"

Again Kallen shook her head. Ava pursed her lips and searched the city for answers. Compared to the boisterous crowds from the day before it was empty, almost lifeless.

"I don't know what you ask."

Kallen nodded, she was being difficult when she couldn't afford to be. This was no different than those days in Vienna when she searched for treasure and worth.

"I know I drove my Valkyries like a cattle herder. I slaved them to sacrifice their lives while ignoring their strengths and weaknesses. At the time they listened because of Eleanor's leadership and my status. Now it's different and I want to believe I've changed."

"You've grown, Kallen. Don't discredit your efforts."

"Then I grew too late. Skye wouldn't have died if I was a better captain. A smarter captain would make sure that she'd be here with us. In Paris, if I understood Eleanor's mindset earlier I could've gotten her help. Even then I look back and I think I've ignored the crimes of the church."

"The heretics killed Skye."

Kallen's ears twitched, those loaded words reminded her of another failure. Would she run away like before?

"They didn't kill Skye. From what Sakura could gather the Black Rose was the culprit. They merely spread the word of the Revelation to more unfortunate souls. While some heretics are agents of the Black Rose, Sakura found most weren't. I never asked her how it felt to sift through so many souls."

Ava contemplated in silence. The truth was semi-hidden from the populace. Regardless of Kallen's revelation, the heretics were a threat to peace.

"Did we punish those responsible?"

"My uncle dealt with them. The murderer is crippled and chained for life."

"Then there's no foul."

"No there is. I think back to the boy Eleanor and Sakura hid away. He was accused of being a heretic and whether there was merit or proof I thought that the church would be fair. He would've been released if innocent I was sure of it but now I'm wondering if Eleanor saved that boy. I wonder if the few we sent to hang out were innocent instead? What if they were only misled?"

"Even if they were being misled a crime is a crime. One can't don the cloaks of the perpetrators and expect to be perceived as innocent. Don't forget the heretics wish to topple the church at the cost of the peace."