Chapter 64 Sister

<Grand Cathedral of Paris>

Wisps of lights flickered at her vision and if she blinked they flared. A heat would blast her mind in intervals, shaking her haystalk legs. She was a brittle rampart made of sand and sweat, standing before a true siege complete with an army, trebuchets, and beasts. Her body had to sway to show weakness. She was a dandelion, whose seeds could be blown away by the slight pressure of an infant's breath. Despite the warnings of her body her mind refused to yield. It was true courage that kept her there.

"Why do you protect the people?"

A horn grew from her right temple. Unlike Eleanor's horns, Marguirete's horn was impishly small, about half the size of a donkey hoof. The horn was crafted from trace amounts of Honkai energy. Her full transformation was seemingly unimpressive and perfectly unassuming.

"It's my duty, I don't need any other reason."

Marguerite laughed with a vigor that could ease any ailing heart. Despite her age, she was an image of charity and peace. Her actions didn't match her appearance and her nature didn't match her desire.

"I once thought the same. But Miss Kaslana shouldn't there be more justification? We are, I was risking my life to keep the people safe but what was I granted? A title? A position? To fight is to live, so why don't they fight to live? You give them peace and security when life's nature is war itself. Now all the citizens of Paris are slowly earning their lives. They're fighting against monsters to survive."

Kallen scrunched her nose and sharpened her gaze. Her hands gripped her glaive impatiently. They were relaxing and tightening in constant flux, so much so that a little sweat trickled down her palms. A question she was powerless against invaded her mind. Why was she entertaining the murderer who stood before her?

"Everyone has a right to live. I protect the weak and innocent who can't protect themselves because I'm stronger than them. I choose to do this because of my faith and duty. It feels right. It feels good. No one should lose their loved ones to monsters. No one."

"So in the end you've caused all this trouble because you witnessed your father die before you."

"Don't speak more of him. Don't speak ill of him."

"On the contrary, I respect your father. I know the Paladin would've saved my family and people had he known what we were subjected to. He wouldn't fight for a church that still practices the act of erasure."

"Under Cain, the practice won't continue."

"Hmmm yes," Marguerite hummed rather heatly. "He's marvelous. More than what I would've hoped for. Being your aunt may not be such a terrible idea."

"Aren't you with Risa?" Kallen spat.

"She will forever be my savior. Everything I do isn't for survival but to serve her memory. But she also proposed that we take what we want. Some desires were unsightly, but I desired to serve her alongside others. Risa promised me revenge but I insisted to start annew. Now Cain has done all I've desired and more, I'd love nothing more than his love."

"Disgusting!"

"Ha," Marguerite curled her lips in a cool smile. "Don't you think it's romantic? I a Petal and he the Overseer? Sworn to be enemies but underneath we see each other in secret?"

"If it's so romantic, betray the Black Rose."

"That's never an option. I would not even entertain that notion. I think I'll take after one of my fellow Petals. She's a forceful one."