Chapter 68 Intervals, Breathes

<Vienna>

A queen's court should only be defined by one word, regal. The dignity of a country roosted between the grand marble columns. The air stiffened into a proper salute. All eyes dared not meet the base of the throne. The carpet was their most familiar sight. Some would say it was a shame not to marvel at the splendor of the court. Immaculate silk tapestries hung from the high would beams and magnificent paintings adorned the walls. Valkyries and Knights alike stood on the steps of the throne. Despite all the dignity the court held, despite the power it wielded, the queen of Austria was trembling on her throne.

The one who requested an audience with the queen stood cloaked and fearless. The mysterious figure eyed all in the court. It was as though everything would soon belong to her. The sun's rays that shone through royal glass could not expose any feature on her face. Distinguished from her form was her average height and a hollow clank every time she shifted.

"The King of France is dead and in his place is a proxy. The tyrant heads to Spain now. What atrocities will he commit there? It's only a matter of time before he returns."

The court was silent and the queen pursed her lips. A thin finger brushed her chin and minute tremors shook the throne. Her fear was palpable but so was the court's.

"We shall not risk war. We'll negotiate and maintain the relationship we've had with the church. Five hundred years my royal family stood strong. Five hundred years we have repented. The Kaslanas will not breach the liberties of my court or my people. I will not spread your gospel and I will not draw the ire of Schicksal."

"But you already have, your reins have become your leash. This isn't the Apocalypse family. Your part in the murder and cover-up of that lost city is not quite small. Bianka Apocalypse's blood is spread so thin. Nikolas was benevolent and mad, Cain on the other hand is a just man. Justice will bring you to your knees."

"You think your Black Rose plays no part in that matter? Do you think that you can stand before the court in Vienna and spout threats and nonsense?! We can hand you over. You and your precious organization are on the brink of collapse! Justice and repentance are intertwined!"

"You broke the repentance your family holds dear. Five hundred years and Vienna still stands only thanks to the wisdom of those before you. Your folly is another matter. If you hunt me, you'll hunt your citizens. Will you bring more blood on your hands? Or will you fight for your people and be remembered as a proper queen?"

"Never show your face towards me. I oust you from this court!"

"If that is your wish, your majesty. I am a humble advisor. As such, I hope you keep your eyes and ears on Spain."

The figure escaped from the court. She walked through the halls, putting pressure on her steps. A rhythmic and sinister echo reverberated from her steps. Beside her, another cloaked figure appeared.

"How strange, is this how your organization handles royalty? It's even more strange that they'd listen. You don't match her guards in power and yet you can walk out so freely."

"I had your assurance but also the queen is not stupid. She's cowardly but crafty and greedy at times. We will meet again and she might be the one to call for me."

"Mmmm, as long as you provide us with more resources I'll continue to aid your cause. It may be a hundred years or even five hundred more before we surface. Hmmm."

"You have a thought?"

"Recently, a spot has opened up. If I deem you useful, you may take on a mantle. My superiors won't mind."