Chapter 39 Sister

<Foot of Otto's Hill>

Wails of the lost and forlorn swayed the tall grass that surrounded the two. Every blade trembled against the windless night, they remembered the clash of titans that transpired months past. The moonlight waned as a protective cloud condensed in response to the tremblings down below. The sky would cry if it could. He was already crying, his wish would never come to pass. One was dressed in mourning black, the other in dutiful white.

"Vera, I don't want you to join." Kallen surrendered. She hoped that her honied voice could smoothen the blades between them. She hoped that Vera would at least reminisce about their memories together. "I don't want to put you in danger."

Vera twitched but did not turn to face her sister, her savior. Shadows hid her small, prim face. Kallen had nothing to interpret. Her words made no impact or perhaps Vera's stalled response indicated progress. When was the last time they talked as sisters? Roughly two years. The last time they talked it was at his empty grave. They weren't sisters then.

'I neglected you.' Kallen reflected 'I brought you home. Your village was my first failure. I brought you home to atone. Yet I haven't given you the support you needed. I haven't spent the time a sister should. Otto was so accommodating and I had my duty. No, my expeditions can't excuse my neglect. Vera, can we start all over? Can I be your sister just this once? Otto, how would you fix this? Do I need a miracle?'

Minutes passed but the grass remained restless. Vera too was reflecting or so it seemed. Kallen waited patiently and did not inch closer. Knowing nothing, all she could do was wait. Whether Vera would forgive her was her choice.

"I take it, Eleanor wished the same." Vera broke the silence. "She's so clumsy. It'd be better for her to ask herself but she let you come in her place."

"I asked her if I could."

"Then you truly need my strength." Vera cut coldly. "She thinks with her heart first. That's a foolish thing to do."

"You'll help then?"

Kallen's words hung in the air. She remained impassive and turned deep into thought. To Kallen, Vera was a statue. It didn't take as long for Vera to move this time. She held her axe's blade and eyed it as if it were her consultant.

"You're too kind too," Vera muttered under her breath. "I hate that about you."

Kallen wanted to respond but she realized those words weren't directed at her. They were contemptible words but they carried love. They carried a closeness that she wasn't entitled to. A consequence of her actions and his.

"Vera.."

"Stop."

Kallen stopped her words. She wanted to say more, she wanted to hug the broken girl before her but it was not her place. Yes, even Kallen could tell that she'd only hurt Vera. She couldn't tell what Vera was thinking but she could tell that she was not her elder sister anymore. It was debatable whether she ever was.

"I can't stand your voice." Vera breathed out softly. Her heart began to beat madly and her chest began to bubble. She was a bottle of wine that was corked for too long. She gripped her axe tightly and let the emotions flow through her veins. "Fight."

Kallen's eyes were saddened. Vera's words were no longer barriers they were commands. Yet she did not follow such commands. Her arms remained unprepared for battle and though bugs jittered under her skin they were more pacifistic than any life on earth.

"I won't fight you."

Bang! An explosive shot sent the surrounding winter grass flailing. They became eels out of water writhing and snapping to uproot themselves and find safety. Kallen felt warm blood trickle from her cheek. Her senses exploded to the sky. Another cloud condensed to protect the moon.