Chapter 67 Nightly Study

<Cologne>

Nothing could compare to the riverside breeze of the Rhine River. Traveling along the bank allowed for an easy supply of water and cooling. Only the glaring reflection of the sun bothered Kallen's Valkyries as they marched north. Cohline easily circumvented the issue by rubbing charcoal under her eyes.

"Tinted glass works but we didn't think to prepare for these niche conditions."

Kallen followed Cohline's words and her Valkyries followed after her. It wasn't long before they reached the walls of Cologne. They were shorter than that of Paris and Koleston but several meters thicker.

"This city always amazes me," Kallen muttered. She eyed the populace and the lack of slums by the walls. It was a level of happiness that even Koleston had not achieved. Sakura aligned her gaze with Kallen but did not comment.

"I find it a quaint city."

The reply came from Ava. Cologne didn't have Koleston's bustling streets nor Paris's towering infrastructure. London had it beat when it came to bridges. Townhouses were stuck together, seemingly fused into a large boisterous unit and several parts of the road opted for padded sand rather than sectioned stone.

"Homely."

"Ahem," Eleanor cleared her throat.

She was met with an unbothered look from Kallen. Ava turned her head. Sakura didn't bother with the discourse. She carefully observed the city, enjoying her view. She liked the sharp geometrical features of the buildings and the small gardens integrated among the rodes. Countless events piqued her interest and unlike Paris or London, the people weren't sharpened against each other.

"I admire your mother's ability to make everyone happy."

"Our prosperity isn't my mother's doing. She handles family matters my father is the local governor—regulations, trade, and order. If you wish to learn, it'll be difficult. My father is mostly occupied and strict. My teaching is like cotton, his is like stone."

"Eleanor is a soft girl." Vera chimed in.

Sakura, Kallen, and Eleanor lurched away from her mischievous smile. They were her victims from wordplay. The Valkyries stopped marching and those under Vera's leadership parroted the actions of the strongest Valkyrie.

"Vera" Kallen started, inwardly she wanted to admonish her little sister. That however wasn't an option as Vera would just use Kallen's words to spin another trap.

Eleanor shook her head, she read Kallen's intentions. It was a hopeless endeavor. Eleanor had tried on multiple occasions to pin Vera down but she was Glory's best disciple. She knew how to make use of weaknesses or create them.

"Vera, we need to be more formal." Alice stepped in.

"Formal? Valkyrie have you just addressed me by my first name?"

"It's the proper way to address children."

"I never knew you liked talking kids down. Aren't you a shameless aunt?"

Sparks flew and the only person capable of combating Vera licked her lips. It was an undistinguished look from either of them but it didn't matter. A sigh escaped from the lips of Cathy. She patted both their heads and they held their qualms. Alice coughed and regained her posture. Vera gritted her teeth but kept an innocent smile.

"Captain,"

"Yes?!"

"I would like to request some time off. I believe that the Vice Captain's hospitality would allow for the skipping of pleasantries. My troops are tired and they need their rest. Why don't you two head with the greeting while the rest of us prepare for our proper duties? The faster we can work the safer the common people will be. Besides, we've done similar procedures in every village we crossed. Cologne isn't oversized."