Chapter 40 East Plan

<Yae Village>

Sakura woke up at home. The bitter and earthy scent of cherry blossoms tickled her nose and the fluffy warmth of a futon confirmed her location. She was home and a figure was asleep beside her. Was it all just a dream? Soft, warm tears wetted the sheets between them and Sakura reached out to caress the delicate cheeks of her late sister. Rin was snoring away peacefully, yes she snored. She would take in air through her mouth and exhale it all in a puff through her nose. It was an adorable action that Sakura could observe for hours.

"Rin," Sakura whispered. "It's time to get up."

Rin didn't stir no matter how much Sakura played with her hair. Sakura chuckled to herself while stroking Rin's hair. She didn't rise easily, she had a sickly body so it was best to let her sleep. Old habits strung Sakura's body. She moved so fluidly that one might confuse her with a passing breeze. A gentle kiss atop Rin's head, then a careful exit from their shared futon, and finally a routine hygiene check that ensured the environment was suitable for Rin's health. Medicine was needed and Sakura checked the herbs within the kitchen house of the Shrine.

'We're out of herbs. I need to run up the mountain to get some.'

She got dressed and holstered her sword to her side. Just as she was about to leave, she felt she had forgotten something important. She stood on the porch a while pondering what she had forgotten. Nothing came to her. Whatever it was it didn't matter as much as Rin, so she was off.

The forest was her domain, she skipped from branch to branch lighter than any falling leaf. The season was spring, she could tell by the moist scent of dew on budding trees. Every piece of bark was recovering from the winter frost and the world was turning into its most beautiful season. She passed by a set of graves, mother and father rested there. She prayed for them with her heart but the living were more important. Making sure Rin got her medicine would improve her health tremendously. In Sakura's heart, she wished for a day when these runs would end. She wished for a day that her sister was cured of her illness.

'I would need to find a miracle worker.' Sakura thought. 'The village doctor has only been able to prescribe herbs that treat her symptoms, not the disease.'

It was a familiar and beautiful day. Fewer birds chirped and the wildlife had migrated elsewhere. The villagers didn't work the fields they gathered in one place. At least that's what Sakura could see from her vantage point. It was strange she thought but nothing important. The river was dried up and they decided to partake in a ritual. Uncle Sato was leading the ritual, he was a bit pompous and stuck up but he spared no effort in helping Rin. He ensured that the highest quality of produce and comfort was delivered to her weekly.

'I don't need to be there,' Sakura thought.

She continued to skip through the trees but a cold hand began to constrict her lungs. The fingers of frost stifled her breathing within seconds. The pores on her body felt pricked by acupuncture needles. She stopped moving and her blood desperately pumped an intoxicating amount of blood to her head. Her body was desperate to recall her memories. Another second and Sakura was leaning against the trunk of a tree. She clutched her head. A maelstrom of knives eviscerated her mind. The ground below her shifted restlessly like waves in the sea.

'Rin? Rin?!'

Sakura was tearing through the forest. Trees fell and dirt flew. She was a mad beast rocketing towards the village. The ground rumbled and the residents scattered from the stage. Sakura drew her sword and Sato's head flew.

"Rin! Rin!" Sakura cried. She embraced the body strung up by the altar. She was too late her tendons were already severed. Her mind was already in agony. Tears blurred her vision and Rin's hand moved to wipe them away.