Chapter 66 Maps

<Paris Streets>

"You don't have to accompany me."

Contrary to her words Vera hummed a bemused tune in her mind. Sakura was in part an awkward person. Her movements were too disciplined to show this but her eyes wandered. Sometimes they were unfocused and Vera knew this to be a result of her isolation. Still over a year back in proximity to social interactions should've alleviated some issues.

"Kallen's busy and I'd wanted to spend some time with-"

"She asked you to accompany me."

"She wanted to come."

Vera chuckled and swung around a lamppost pole. Moments later Sakura bumped her head into the lamppost. Her fox ears steamed and wiggled, and her cool features turned shy.

"Do you still wish to accompany me?"

A short pause, eye contact, and a defeated murmur were all Sakura could muster.

"Who taught you how to tease people?"

"Hah, who indeed."

They arrived at their destination, a cartography office. While Sakura questioned Vera's strange taste a man exited the building. Young but professional, he handed Vera a leather case shuffling with papers, no maps.

"We thank you for your patronage, young miss."

A polite bow and several formalities soon saw him away from their sight. Vera hummed happily while Sakura gazed quizically. She wanted to ask a question but was wary of Vera's mischievous smile.

"It's a hobby. Only a hobby."

<Cain's Office>

Advisors and officials stood on all sides of the rectangular oak table. It was about the size of four food stall counters and was able to seat twenty people rather spaciously. Puckered on the table was a map of all of Europe. Various ridges made with pin markers and paperweights outlined their thoughts. It was a wrinkly canvas that had been overused and mistreated.

"We still need to maintain the order in Italy. If their ports are threatened then we risk a multi-country level famine."

"The overseer has taken care of those terrorists. The entire resistance was executed. Let's focus on the heretics rising in the east. Vienna, despite receiving our faith and support, still stalls in implementing the laws we've suggested."

"But they're mere suggestions. The church is not made of tyrants. Though they were for the better of the people, not all rules should be enforced by force. Besides we have more pressing matters to deal with Spain. Reports say the Revelation has reached there."

"It's not just Spain, Greece as well. The heretics are spreading quickly! We've already sent investigators and notified the local branches but their monarchs are struggling to enact the proper procedures."

"But isn't the most pressing matter at the moment Paris? We've contained the news of the Black Sun but it will spread. We've beaten the herretics but our credibility and reputation reeks lows. France is our priority, we must dispatch our trackers and clergy to contain the events that transpired. Then-"

"Is that even possible? Every hermit, every hamlet, and every village has seen the ill-fated black star! Do they have faith in our new age? Do they have faith that we can fend off the retribution of the Devil?"

"Is it retribution? Or is it-"

"Out! Such treasonous thoughts-"

"No, you will hear me! We vanquished the but his taint remains! Perhaps we've missed something."