Chapter 27 Scale

"All business has ceased in Koleston."

The report itself wisped no farther than the casement windows of the French Penthouse. The Notre Dame Cathedral could be seen in the distance, its signature two towers toiled time away as the people exited mass. Across the Cathedral stood Paris's first chapel. Dame's opponent went by many names, including the Grand Cathedral of Paris, the City Chapel, and so on. It seemed that the Dame could do nothing to crumble long-lasting history. Though it appeared more polished and stood slightly taller, the crowd of believers was drawn by the statue erected outside the first Chapel. A priest, a saint, the so-called black sheep of the Apocalypse family stood tall as a beacon of goodness and truth. He deserved no such status, at least by his admission.

"It's to be expected," A soft voice mulled. Mechanical clanking and the shifting of a pen accompanied the petite figure. "It's a pity. Northwest trading will be stifled. We may never recover Britain ever again."

The cloaked reporter shifted. She was no mere subordinate and she was among the remaining few Petals that carried true power. Power strong enough to enter the titled rankings.

"We still have London. The Bridge stands strong."

"It's only a matter of time," The figure waved off. "We've not the cunning or the numbers to do what Risa could in Kaslana turf. They're also aware of our presence and common folk mostly stand with the public church."

"As long as the Bridge exists-"

"It's a hindrance. Old tales and smokey myths forbade ships from passing under. I'd never would've dipped our hands into Koleston if it weren't there."

"We can always choose a more permanent solution."

"Assassination you say? Your specialty?" The figure mocked. "It's impossible to recruit new members. We also need loyal members. Knock a few officials and Risa's legacy would be dust."

"Then let's make our end memorable. Drive a stake into the heart of history that forces the generations after to never forget her grandeur."

"And you'd do that by killing a Kaslana? They die in every generation. What's the point? No, the only reason we're even continuing business is for revenue and leverage. How we use it will change and adapt."

"Then how?"

"I'm on the edge of that epiphany. History is not written by the losers. Thanks to the troupe almost all citizens believed they rid themselves of the devil." The figure stated now playing with the leatherbound book which had a ribboned ring for a page holder. "In any case, we'll find the solution, eventually. For now, we will communicate with our London branch. Withdraw those operatives in Britain."

"Then we allocate them where?"

"Schemers in London. Researchers in Spain. Combatants will join our operations in France. Petals will retreat and leave the thorns in London. Come to think of it, isn't the Overseer heading to Italy?"

"Yes, the City of Bounty. According to our spies, its reconstruction is something he wished to oversee."

"Then we'll stir a little trouble. Reignite the old trauma but make sure no one is caught. Let's use the new babble. A signal of the start."

"What about London? How do we deal with the troupe in London?"

"Yes, it'll be hard for our allies to cover up the mess. I think they have the best grasp of the situation. Tell them to use their clever minds. I suspect that it's not the troupe that tore down Koleston. After all the sword at the square remains. Tell them to expect that their opponent is Frederick Kaslana."