58

Hermione opens her edition of the Daily Prophet and sits up in alarm. "I cannot believe it!"

Harry, Harper and Ron glance at her as she slaps the paper down on the table.

"Ministry Passes Educational Decree Number Twenty-Three: Dolores Umbridge Appointed Hogwarts High Inquisitor?" Ron reads, looking up at Harry, Harper and Hermione. "What's that mean?"

"It says here that the High Inquisitor has the power to inspect all of the teachers." Hermione said.

"You're kidding!" Harry exclaimed.

"That's not all. The High Inquisitor also has the power to sack the teachers as well." Hermione said.

Fred and George march by them, stopping to talk to them.

"So, seen the news have you?" Fred said, looking at them.

"Personally, I envy you four." George said.

"Why's that?" Ron asked.

"Umbridge is inspecting McGonagall in your period. That old toad won't know what hit her." George said, looking at Fred wistfully. "Oh, to be a youth again, to experience the innocent glee of watching Umbridge be destroyed by the greatest Head of Gryffindor this century."

"Well, we'll expect a full reporter after." Fred said.

"Complete with facial expressions." George said and they wandered off.

》* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ * 。° 。 • ˚《

Hermione, Harper, Ron, and Harry walk down the crowded streets of Hogsmeade, avoiding the swarms of other students.

"Where are we going, Hermione?" Harry asked.

Hermione leads them confidently. They stop before a slightly seedy looking pub. "There we are."

"The Hog's Head, Hermione?" Ron questioned, looking at Hermione.

Hermione leads them towards it. "C'mon, I'll explain in a minute."

The four of them step into the pub. It is grimy and ill-lit. Shady witches and wizards sit uneasily in corners. Except for one corner by the front window, which is populated by Dean Thomas, Neville. And others Harper is too lazy to name. There are a lot of people too many people for him to name.

Harry looks questioningly at Hermione. "Hermione, what's going " Harry questioned.

"These are some people I mentioned my Defense Against the Dark Arts idea with." Hermione said, sitting down.

Harry and Ron follow while Harper stands up behind them.

"You mean about us teaching ourselves?" Harry asked.

"Hey, Harry." Neville said, sending Harry a small smile.

"Hey, Neville." Harry said, returning the smile.

"It's good to see that the horned snorkle-stacks haven't gotten you yet, Harry." Luna said dreamily.

Harry looks confused for a moment. "Uh... same to you, Luna."

Hermione beats on the table to quiet everyone. "Hi, everyone. I thought it would be good if we met and talked over how we wanted to teach ourselves Defense Against the Dark Arts. Because we need to learn it properly, not the rubbish Umbridge is doing."