16: Roundabout Revelations

[OP: "This Will End"--The Oh Hellos]

["The Scientist"--Coldplay--Sisters said this fit Shikamaru, kind of.]

Shikamaru found Temari a little later, throwing pebbles at one of the scrubby trees at the edge of the yard.

She glanced at him and then shrugged.

"Can I ask for your honest opinion on something?" Shikamaru said.

"Sure." Temari threw another pebbled easily. "When am I not giving my honest opinion?"

"Sometimes I think you give a more harsh opinion than necessary. I just want the honest truth."

"That's always going to be subjective if you're asking a person, but go ahead." Temari picked up another pebble.

"Would you say I like to be in control?" Shikamaru asked. "And to feel secure about things?"

"Secure as in sure of them working out?"

"Yes."

"I'd say so." Temari threw that pebble and hit the tree again. She hadn't missed so far. Then she wiped her hands off. "Strategists mostly like to be in control. Part of the job. And so is wanting things to work out."

"And is that why I have a hard time accepting change?" Shikamaru mused.

"Change shakes things up," Temari said. "It's uncomfortable. You like to be comfortable." She frowned at the tree. "But comfort can be deadly. This has to to do with the DJs still, doesn't it?"

"Something they said," Shikamaru said. "Shine said, really. She just comes up with this stuff somehow."

"I think she's observant," Temari said. "I usually agree with her assessments of people."

"So you would say that you observe people in the same way?" 

"Yes...why?"

"Just interest," Shikamaru said, staring at the horizon. "I don't do that. There's different kinds of observant, I suppose."

"If you're about to say that it's a woman thing, get out," Temari said a little testily.

"Hey, claws in, all right? I didn't come out here to fight." Shikamaru backed up uneasily, afraid the next rock would be aimed at his chest.

Temari shrugged.

"You seem worked up," Shikamaru noticed.

"Oh no, really?" Temari said sarcastically, but then checked her tone. She sighed. "I didn't need to go into all that before. Our dirty laundry is none of their business. Especially Sakura's."

"Why Sakura?"

"I've heard how she talks to her friends," Temari said. "She's not above using people's insecurities against them. If she did that to Gaara, I'd have to kill her."

Not to herself?

"You know, I overheard the DJs say a few things about you also." Shikamaru was not one to compliment people directly, obviously, so he would borrow it from someone else. "Seems like they think you've been a valuable friend to them. Something about loyalty. And you being their guide. Whatever that means."

"Oh, that's just what they call it," Temari said. She'd forgotten about that. "Back when we first met. First person they meet is almost always the guide, they said--someone who shows them the ropes of the world they're in, I guess. I suppose my older sister instinct just kicked in for that."