76: The Worm Turns

[OP: "Torches"--The Oh Hellos]

Days 61-62:

The team pitched the idea of a party to Mirai, who so far was in 7th heaven about how their other ideas had worked out and was quick to agree to it.

The council agreed to it also. They thought they'd even won Ayashi over finally, though no one was sure about Yuko.

Neji was brought in with the new supplies--and Niji came with him. She was curious to see the "forbidden Village" and also thought he shouldn't go alone.

They were all stunned when they saw her because the last month and a half had done a lot for her: She was much more filled out, was more tanned than before, and had a kind of seashore-dwelling, clear quality to her skin and eyes, which were as bright as ever.

She also spoke just as strongly as before and had learned a lot, including how to read fairly well even in such a short time, though large books would be beyond her.

She also told them that Sotetsu and Kiriame were doing well and were now engaged--it hadn't taken long for them to decide they had waited long enough.

Shine said she knew the feeling, and Wally looked flustered before agreeing with her.

Matsuri was quite interested to meet this girl from an island, and they hit it off pretty quickly.

Neji's reunion with his cousins was touching--except for the part where Hanabi hit him in the gut for not at least saying goodbye to her before leaving.

Neji managed to laugh it off.

Rock Lee was less violent but expressed that he and Guy-sensei were a little offended also.

Neji apologized but said he'd needed to make a quick decision.

"I guess, without me, you all never slow down," he said to the team. "I mean...Rain Village? I half thought you were joking, but I knew Hinata wouldn't make that up."

"Who would? It sounds like a good way to get someone killed," Temari said dryly.

"Mei-sama was impressed," Niji confirmed for them. "She said that Mist must have just been you getting warmed up, if you could charm Rain Village into letting you visit... But how did Stone Village go?"

Awkward pause.

"You may as well just tell them." Shine looked at Gaara. "They'll hear some version of it sooner or later, and it won't be as accurate as ours."

Gaara sighed. "You're right... You might want to sit down for this."

They sat down.

The tale took at least an hour to relate because everyone wanted to put in their bit of how it had gone wrong.

Neji was less surprised than he was displeased to hear it.

Niji was indignant. "How ungrateful can you be!" she cried. "I would like to talk to these people."

"Please don't," Hinata said. "We don't need them to hurt anyone else."

"But you're all right?" Neji said. "I'm...surprised you didn't just turn back after that point."

"Us? Never!" Suigetsu said.

"We thought about it," Jugo confessed right away. "But then we got invited to come here."

"And we almost didn't accept," Gaara said. "I must give Shine and Wally-sensei all the credit for that."

"Oh, not all of it," Wally said. "You still had to agree."