64: A Day of Recovery

[OP: "Grow"--The Oh Hellos]

Finally, Sasuke spoke again:

"So...what now?" 

Shine wasn't expecting that question. "How do you mean?"

"Don't you have some solution?" Sasuke said irritably. "Like always?"

"Do I...?" Shine frowned in confusion. "You want a solution?"

"No, I prefer to go through that again." Sarcastically.

Shine laughed.

For some reason it annoyed Sasuke less this time when she did...as if maybe she was laughing because she thought he was actually trying to be funny--though he wasn't.

"I'm just not used to you being open to help," she said.

Sasuke frowned. "Anyone ever tell you you might be too honest?"

"Anyone ever tell you that you're annoying?" Shine retorted.

"Only your team," Sasuke asid.

"I can't believe I missed this," Shine said, shocking him again. "But it's almost a relief to hear you trying to be unpleasant after all that. C'est la vie--Even with everything else I'm dealing with."

That brought another question to mind.

"Did I miss anything important?" Sasuke asked.

"Oh, lots. But no worries, none of it was that exciting. Just planning, for the most part. And if you really want to know, we can catch you up later."

"I might as well just know now." Sasuke started to get up.

He was shoved back down very forcefully.

"If you get up for any reason that's not medically necessary," Shine said in a firm voice, "you will be tied down. Is that clear? You're still not fully healed anyway. Can't you feel that you're running a temperature?"

Sasuke did still ache all over, but this was nothing new for him.

Which maybe should have been a bad sign.

"Well, I can't just stay here--" he began.

"Oh, yes, you can," Shine said, with a tone that left no room for argument. "And if you don't do as I say, I will follow up on that threat, believe me, and you know I will. And if you're pissed that you have to be waited on by Sakura and the others, then next time don't do something crazy. You brought this on yourself. And some people would appreciate the chance to get a break, honestly, but of course you won't be reasonable."

"You know, I've done more dangerous things probably while not feeling any better than this," Sasuke said.

"Then that confirms what I already thought, which is that the people you worked for are morons as well as sadists," Shine shot back. "So stay put. Sakura will be back soon enough... By the way, did she say anything to you?"

"Only that I was stupid," Sasuke said. 

Then he rubbed his face. "And she slapped me."

"Oh, really?" Shine didn't sound upset. "Good for her. I'm glad she's taking this more seriously now. If she hadn't, someone else would have."

"You have an odd way of treating people you claim are sick."

"You show no gratitude to people for saving your life, yet again," Shine replied staunchly. "I suppose I can't expect you to do that, but you really owe Ino for this one. And Shoto too."