34: Preparation

[OP: "O Sleeper"-- The Oh Hellos]

In preparation for the tea, those who were going to it dressed up as much as possible, because Shine said that it didn't hurt to look the part.

She also had an unusual request for Kankuro.

"Take off the face paint for this," she said.

"Excuse me?" Kankuro looked at her like she'd asked him to cut off his leg.

Shine gestured patiently. "Look, we don't have a problem with you wearing that if you want to, but it is war paint. I think we should try to appear as relaxed and peaceful as possible. It sends a message if you go bare face."

"What, do you want us to not take our weapons either?" Kankuro was more of a pill about this than you'd expect from him.

"I said peaceful, not stupid," Shine said dryly. "The face paint won't hurt our chances. But of course, be ready for anything... I won't force you to do as I wish, but I think it's smarter."

Well, that kind of twisted his arm.

Of course when he appeared in the front without the paint on, everyone couldn't help but react. For a second no one even realized it was him other than his siblings, who did a double take themselves.

Then Shikamaru said, "Kankuro?"

"What?" Kankuro still cut a pretty scary figure, since he was tall and had the same hair and eyes as his father.

"You're late," Temari cut in, "that's what. You'd think that not putting that gunk on would speed things up."

Camie nudged Tenten and Ino. "What did I tell you? Closet hottie."

"I'm surprised." Ino genuinely was. He did look a lot like Gaara after all.

Tenten was staring, then she looked at Camie and shrugged. "Well...I don't know if it's as much of a difference as you suggested. But not...terrible."

"Geez, what's with the hate?" Camie asked her. "He's cute."

Bakugo gave her a look.

"I mean for a ninja," Camie said.

"What?" Ino glanced at her.

"Sorry, fahm," Camie said in a low voice. "The tea is that Baku's a little jelly when I compliment the shinobi bros too much, so I have to hold back on it now."

"Oh, gotcha." Ino winked.

"I know what you're doing," Bakugo said to Camie.

"Is it working?" Camie asked.

"Just...act...normal." Bakugo shook his head.

Camie made a peace sign at him and then grabbed his arm.

"Not that normal," Bakugo objected. "Everyone's looking."

"Ugh, I thought girls were supposed to be the high maintenance ones." Camie rolled her eyes. "Fine, I'll act like a stone."

She dropped his arm and locked her arms to her sides.

"What are they doing?" Tenten asked Ino.

"Some weird couple communication thing." Ino took a guess since she had no idea. "Probably should just let them work it out."

Sakura just gave Camie a weird look.

"Well--" She cleared her throat and faced the elders. "--Tsunade-sama did tell me she's going to be at this tea, but she was going straight there from the center. She might be late..."