60: Resolved

[OP: "Exeunt"--The Oh Hellos]

Sakura was a little miffed at her--for a second--but then she realized that Shine probably had no agenda...

So she must really just think this...

And she wasn't even saying Sakura was the problem...just that she didn't get it.

That was nicer than expected.

So Sakura was far more civil than usual when she answered her:

"Maybe you're right," she said. "Maybe it is a lot of work. But, if you care about Sasuke, surely you think he needs someone who will do that for him."

"I do," Shine said. "And that I can't be here forever to protect him from the consequences of his actions. Nor should I. And I would like to have you as my ally in this situation. I know no one else is as committed to Sasuke's welfare as you are, not now. Even Naruto isn't. But I could not ask you to do this if I think it would hurt you. I'm not that kind of person, and it's not right. So if I had your help, I would need to know now you will do this in a way that won't hurt yourself. If you let Sasuke treat you however he wants, he will never learn anyway, and he'll stay the same--miserable...and if you make yourself a doormat, he will never learn. If you have no self respect, you won't be able to help him. That's the problem. You beg him for his attention when you should just tell him the truth."

"I did tell him the truth," Sakura protested. "Hey, you're not the only one who told him revenge was a bad idea."

"I know, but you caved in also, didn't you? Offered to help him... That's not good. To love someone is not that. You have to tell them that, if they do the wrong thing, you will not stand aside and let it happen. It helps me to keep this in mind: Someone doing the wrong thing is going to hurt them more than anyone else in the long run. It could land their soul in hell or ruin their mortal life. So when I stand in their way, I'm not hurting them--I'm keeping them from being hurt worse. I wouldn't go that far, mind you, but there are those who have to, and that's how they make peace with it."

Sakura couldn't help but notice that was one of the only times Shine had actually spoken to her like she was capable of understanding anything.

It kind of felt good... Maybe this was what Sasuke like about her.

She rubbed her hands together. "I'll think about it, okay? I have to decide if I think you're right about him...or me. But before I accept that, you have to tell me--how much do you really care about him? Because I think if it's only vaguely, because this is the 'right thing', I'm just not sure that enough."

"I don't think you can quantify it that way," Shine said. "But I suppose it's only fair to answer your question, and I really hope he can't hear me right now, since it would be a disaster if he did..." She rubbed her face in a tired way. "I pitied him the first time we met. And something about him stuck in my memory even though I knew I couldn't do anything for him then. All throughout the war, I hoped I'd get a chance. I'm like that. I can't let things like that go so easily. I wouldn't call it liking him--he was quite the little pill then, and he infuriated me by hurting my own students. But I knew I wouldn't forget about Sasuke either... He's hard to forget, whatever else he is."

Sakura could attest to that.

"After the jail visit, I knew I was starting to feel a little less annoyed by him," Shine said, "but once we were on the road, he began to really grow on me. I am supposed to love every one of you since it's the right thing to do. And I make that choice...but, naturally, you want to know if I have any human affection also...and the answer is I do. Somehow he's the sort of person who inspires that kind of feeling from you--if you're not a total sociopath, anyway. I mean, it's pity, partly, but it's not only pity. Sasuke and I have some common personality traits, whether you see it or not. I was a lot like him when I was a teenager. I'll be generous to myself and say 'was'." She laughed wryly. "I questioned the system, and I questioned the people closest to me too, and I always had a hard time with love. And it made me angry too. I changed a lot after I met Jesus... but that rebel is still in me, and I think it always will be. At least while there's enough evil left in the world to rebel against. I believe Sasuke responds better to me because I am like that. All the rebel people in my team do. Rebels tend to like each other. We feel a kinship."