69: Date Night

[OP: "Like the Dawn"--The Oh Hellos]

Wally got as cleaned up as he could.

Then he went down to the lower level.

To his surprise, Shine had set up a small table with candles on it--and a screen projector with a DVD player that she somehow plugged into an electric socket without frying something.

And there were bean bags in front of the screen.

"What's all this?" Wally said.

"Well, I thought 'dinner and a movie'," Shine explained, coming more into the light. "But since there's no movie theater here and no good restaurants, I improvised with stuff from around my house... Lumina and Crystal were quite good at helping me find creative solutions. Not bad, right?"

"No, this is really cool," Wally said. "But I mean, what about resting?"

"Well, I got to thinking," Shine said. "Something I talked to Sasuke about earlier too, exactly, that I didn't know how bad it was to be alone till I wasn't alone anymore, and I recalled that we hardly get any time together now, and maybe it seems as if I'm taking you for granted  sometimes. I'm focused on the teens a lot, and I don't have time always to think about missing you, but then I do, once I get some peace and quiet. I just want to have someone who doesn't stress me out to hang around... That's not the most romantic speech, but I'm a little maxed out on the pretty words after before. I hope you understand where I'm coming from..."

"I thought it was romantic," Wally said. "I mean, sheesh, now I feel bad for not doing anything for you."

"I had you on supervision duty all day," Shine said. "Which was great for me to plan this, but if that's not romantic, I don't know what is."

She smiled. "I can trust the kids to you. That's really attractive, trust me."

"All right." Wally made a show of flexing his muscles. "Well, this is so sweet. And you look great too."

Shine had gotten herself glammed up, as Camie would put it, with more modern clothes instead of the casual/slightly traditional ones they had been using to blend in with the ninja.

And she'd put on makeup and done her hair so...

[I designed this using a game called LoveNikki, so actual clothing design credit goes to them

[I designed this using a game called LoveNikki, so actual clothing design credit goes to them. Not bad, huh?]

He felt a little underdressed, actually...

"You know how to treat a guy right," he said aloud. "Man, I don't even have flowers."

"Oh, I know you'll do 100 more things for me before I have time to even think of another to do for you," Shine said. "This is just me barely scratching the surface compared to what you do for me every day. Stop worrying  about it and just sit down."

"Yes, ma'am," Wally said obligingly, sitting down. "You know, you're a lot bossier when you're on the job."

"So?" Shine sat down last.