31: Sakura's Dilemma

[OP: "Notos"--The Oh Hellos]

Sai was trying to sketch some facial expressions he'd seen that day when he was interrupted by Ino appearing in the doorway.

"Is there a problem?" He looked up, confused.

"Oh, no...I just...uh..." Ino held up a shopping bag. "This is...I just thought it might be useful."

"Oh? For what?" Sai didn't get it.

"Just look inside." Ino held it out like it was a dead animal.

Sai didn't understand the point of this, but he took the bag anyway and opened it.

"This looks like a traveling pack," he said, taking out the black bag inside the shopping bag.

"Yeah." Ino was not making eye contact for some reason. "I mean, I was looking for supplies, and I noticed they had this newer model, and I thought...well, it has a waterproof lining on the inside, and the top actually zips shut like the heroes' packs do. It seemed more durable."

"It does seem sturdy." Sai still didn't get it. "Are you replacing your bag?"

"Oh, no, mine's fine--well, maybe I will. I mean, I'm sure Momo could make copies of this if we need it..." Ino was babbling almost. "But I thought it would be good for you to...so you don't lose your notebooks again."

Sai only registered right at that moment that this might be a gift.

"Oh...is that for me?" He was surprised.

"If you don't want it I can take it back!" Ino panicked. "I mean, I didn't want to presume--but I thought about it after earlier, and it just...was there..so..."

"It would be helpful..." Sai examined it more closely. "And it is the right size."

"I thought so," Ino said, more relaxed, before she seemed to tense up again.

"Is something wrong?" Sai was not quite sure why she was acting like this.

"No, nothing," Ino said quickly, reddening a little. "So...you like it?"

"I hadn't really thought about that part yet," Sai said. "But...I suppose I like it. Did you just get it for me to be nice?"

"I know it's none of my business," Ino said hastily, "but why go all the way back there, right?"

"I don't know what that has to do with it," Sai said. "But...thank you." He smiled. A real smile this time.

Ino looked more flushed than before. "Oh...okay...uh...you're welcome? I should go...uh...change, so...see you later."

She walked away in a hurry.

Sai opened the top of the bag. It really did have insulation on the inside.

"Well, my picture book will be safe in here for certain," he said to himself. "And there's a small compartment for pencils--or extra weapons, I suppose." As an afterthought. "Very well thought out. I wonder what made her think of doing it?"

[Ah, Sai, you will probably not get it for a while, but it's cute--also I couldn't help but think of that Eeyore's Birthday Winnie the Pooh story writing this, with the balloon and the jar. Sai really has the same childlike wonder vibe, I guess.]

* * *

"Girl, why you smiling all glowy like that?" Camie asked Ino when she came out of the shower stall in the girls bathroom. Ino was trying to take her hair tie out in front of the mirror--which was hard when her hair was that long.