32: Simmering

[OP: "Torches"--The Oh Hellos]

Once the conversation with Sakura was over, Shine and Wally both felt a little more at peace about the situation. They decided that, after talking to Tsunade and her both, they had done all they could to settle this peacefully. All that was left was to see what Stone Village would do.

Gaara asked them how it had gone while they were on their way to the medical center to help more that day.

"There is only one thing I think that could hurt us," Shine told him, "and that's that she told Tsunade that we kept in touch with you and that must be how we knew about the war. While we know perfectly well that was just a byproduct of us talking about our lives, it can sound like we were spying."

"I didn't think of that," Gara said. "I suppose I wasn't trying to look at it in a suspicious way. It bothers me that you're being questioned so much about this. I feel that they are really trying to bring you down and not me directly."

"Of course," Wally said. "Even I can figure this one out: We're not shinobi. There's way less backlash if they take us down and only make you look bad by association."

"I'm sorry that you have to go through this," Gaara sighed. "I feel it's my fault. Somehow I must have told Onoki something the wrong way, and this is the result."

"I really don't think it's your fault," Shine said.

But Gaara wasn't persuaded. The idea of blaming yourself was beaten firmly into the ninja's heads from a young age, and Shine and Wally just telling him it wasn't true wouldn't be enough to get it out.

The other team member were in a slightly better mood today, though, mostly because nothing had gone too badly the day before as far as they knew, and they were hoping that if they kept helping and didn't start any trouble, the Stone Village ninja would lose their suspicion of them.

"That's a nice messenger bag, Sai." Momo had noticed his new accessory. "I was thinking that you should replace that old knapsack, after what happened, but I didn't want to bring it up."

"Oh?" Sai said. "Well, I hadn't thought of it yet, but I'm glad to have a new one. It zips shut at the top so nothing will fall out."

"Most of ours do that, dummy," Bakugo said.

Camie elbowed him. "Shut up, Bae."

"What?" he said.

"Well, it's true that most of our ninja bags don't have those zippers," Temari said. "I hear they jam too easily."

"A well-made one usually won't do that," Momo said. "But I guess I see your point...but it's better than it falling open all the time."

"Where did you get it?" Tenten asked Sai. "Maybe I might want to replace mine too. I don't want to lose my scrolls"

"I really don't know," Sai said. 

Ino was blushing furiously, though no one had noticed it.

"What do you mean? Did you just find it?" Tenten was skeptical.

"No, I mean it was a gift, so I don't know, but perhaps you could check the marketplace," Sai suggested.

"Who gave you that?" Kankuro asked. "Was it a girl?"

"Yes." Sai didn't get it. 

"Oo-ooh," Suigetsu said. "Someone has a crush."

"Has a...what?" Sai was blank.

"Shut up." Karin shoved Suigetsu out of habit. "I bet it was Miss Likstar. She probably just thought he needed a new one so he doesn't have another meltdown."