1-12.5 (Sidestory)

Side story: Missing Alper part 3

Erza Ironheart POV

"Ugh, where could he be?" I groaned impatiently, dashing through the cave with a golden glowing orb leading the way, illuminating the path before me.

As I sprinted forward, I scrutinized any potential traces Alper might have left—a smattering of bat blood, patches of disturbed earth. The scarcity of signs didn't concern me; instead, my thoughts focused on deciphering Alper's possible maneuvers. Although he was but a child fleeing from potential assailants, the sentient core he carried bestowed upon him a resourcefulness akin to that of an adult. By tracing the direction guided by that core, I hoped to unveil Alper's whereabouts.

After nearly an hour of relentless pursuit, I encountered a fork in the path. Strangely, one route bore the marks of significant damage, as though a colossal force had collided with the cave wall.

"Please be safe, Alper," I whispered in a prayer, following the trail of destruction. Before long, the path opened into a cavernous expanse, with the exit to the cave visible in the distance. Intriguingly, cobwebs adorned the ground, and a discarded spear lay nearby, its tip stained with a hint of blood—an ominous sign of recent use. Hastening to inspect it, I discerned that it was crafted from dirt and stone, a testament to Alper's ingenious resourcefulness.

"Alper..." I uttered his name with a heavy heart before discarding the sentiment, redirecting my focus toward the exit. The pathway bore the unmistakable signs of a forceful breach, as if some colossal entity had forged a passage to the outside world.

Emerging into the open air, I gasped for breath, fatigue settling into my bones after relentless hours of sprinting. Surveying the surroundings for clues, my eyes alighted upon a small camp nestled in the vicinity. A cluster of individuals occupied the space: one lay unconscious, his head wrapped in bandages, while two sat beside him—one rugged, the other unusually slender. Additionally, two individuals were engrossed in examining some mysterious bones.

"Greetings!" I exclaimed, catching my breath. The group turned their eyes toward me, wearing expressions tinged with suspicion, but I paid little heed to their guarded glances. "Apologies for the intrusion, but have any of you seen a child emerge from this cave? White hair, red eyes, innocent and frail, not older than 14. His name is Alper, and I'm desperately searching for him!"

Immediately, I uttered a fervent hope, praying for Alper's well-being. The robust figure, seemingly the group's leader, took the initiative to speak, demanding, "Who are you, and why are you searching for this kid?"

Swiftly, I retrieved my badge, a tangible proof of my affiliation with House Luminari and my role as a Metalweaving teacher. "I'm his Metalweaving instructor. He's the heir of House Luminari, a minor Clan. If you possess any information, I'm willing to make a fair trade for it," I asserted. Nomads by appearance, these individuals held a reputation for prioritizing personal gain, making trade a language they understood well.

"Oh, I see... hahaha, so that's why," the slender man seated next to the leader chimed in, his demeanor shifting abruptly. Suddenly, he erupted into manic laughter, seemingly driven to madness. "THAT'S WHY HE WAS BETTER THAN ME! HE WAS THE HEIR TO A CLAN! HAHAHAHHAHA!"

Baffled by the man's outburst, my irritation rose, and my narrowed eyes signaled my growing impatience. Before I could retort, the group's leader swiftly intervened, delivering a resounding punch to the hysterical man. "I told you to let it go, Kastor!" The thin man crumpled in pain, and the leader, fixing his gaze on me, continued, "I knew from the start that kid was a big shot. So, he belonged to House Luminari, huh?"