Chapter 18

We both woke up at about the same time. "Today's the big day," Jaycob said. "The ring ceremony!" he said. "Hey, Emma, after you get dressed, do you mind being the audience? I gotta recite my speech, and I think you're a good listener." I nodded. "Well, I'm your only option," I said, laughing a little. He giggled. "Yeah. Got your uniform?" he asked. I nodded, going into the bathroom to change.

I decided that today I was going to make my hair a bit more curly. Perhaps if I don't brush my hair, and just put on the creams and conditioners only. Yeah.

My hair suddenly looked a lot more curly, and better, in my opinion, than if it was straight like usual. Then, I put on a sparkling violet dress. Perfect!

Once I walked into the room, he was shocked. "Emma, this is even better than before! Holy... shit. You're beautiful!" I blushed. "Thanks so much—"

"Oh! Actually, I forgot about makeup." He nodded. "Ladies first." I rushed back into the bathroom. I quickly put on some eyeliner, blush, and contour. Now I look perfect!

I walked out. He widened his eyes. "Nice, I didn't think you needed makeup. But you look even better with it!" I smiled. "Aw, thanks!"

He walked into the room and quickly changed clothes. He walked out, way more handsome than before. "Wow. You're like a... like a celebrity!" He smiled. "Thanks. Would you mind sitting down on the couch, and then I can read my speech to you?" he asked. "Sure," I said.

I sat down. "'It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped,' Robert F. Kennedy said. And I think this is an inspiring quote because we should believe in ourselves and have courage, just like we do now," he said. I clapped. "You did great!" He smiled. "Nice! Thank you! Oh, it's getting late! 8:36!" We both rushed out the door together, and he forgot to close his room door, but he did close the house door.

We ran very fast to school, adrenaline pumping. Once we got to school, he hugged me. "Bye. I have to go rehearse in the gym," he said. "Alright, bye," I said.

Walking into class, I realized that I was late. "9:00?" I said, looking at my watch. "Oh, damn." Once I walked in, Mr. F said, "Emma! You're late." I blushed. "Yeah, yeah, I know. Sorry. Took a while to get ready for school."

Then the loudspeaker announced:
"Can I have everyone's attention please? Can grades seven and eight please head to the gym for the ring ceremony? Again, can grades seven and eight please head to the gym for the ring ceremony? Thank you."

"Alright guys, line up," Mr. F said.

Butterflies were flying in my stomach. Not spiders. Spiders are creepy and ugly and disgusting. At least butterflies look good like Jaycob. As we walked downstairs, I got increasingly more scared, and I wasn't sure why. Why am I so scared? I know he'll do great! He's Jaycob fucking Santos!

We lined up and then sat down. Jaycob was there, and scanned the audience for me. Once he found me, he smiled, winked, and waved at me.

Once everyone else got there, Mr. McCormick proceeded to give an announcement: "Hello guys."
The chorus of students yelled, "Hey MrMcCormick!"

"So, as you know, the ring ceremony is today. We will first have the students read their speeches."

The students read their speeches. Not gonna lie, Jaycob look quite confident out there. That's great! He patiently waited for his turn. I hope he remembers his speech, I worried to myself. What if he didn't? But then I calmed myself down. No. He practiced with me. He'll be fine... I thought to myself as I waved at him. Then he came up.