2

But Enos Quaiver, being a practical man, tried to put such pettiness behind him, gritting his teeth and moving on with the cyclical chores of planting and harvesting his fields.

He quietly watched as Abraham fought his legal battles, winning time after time.

Enos fought weeds with a hoe, prayed for good weather, and worked his fingers to the bone to feed his wife, himself, and the livestock season after season.

The large, looming shadow of a vulture flew above him.

In Enos' mind, that bloodsucker was always circling over his head, darkening the ground when the farmer least expected it.

***

Enos looked up from his hoeing, scanning the field.

If anything, it seemed the rows had gotten longer.

A big, fine, shiny automobile was driving by. It stopped at the edge of the field.

Enos had heard that Abraham had given up his fine solid black stallion for a horseless carriage. Enos watched as Abraham got out of the car and made his way slowly toward him.

The man stumbled several times, and Enos heard mumbled curses.

Abraham's shoes were not made for clod hopping.

Enos smiled, lowering his head so that Abraham would not see, and resumed his planting.

At last, the lawyer was within speaking distance.

"Good day, Enos."

"Abraham."

"You given anymore thought to what we talked about?" Abraham asked.