052

Winston had been searching for his mate, for over two weeks now. He had traveled through the dense forests, over mountains, and across rivers, following any clue he could find. But so far, he had come up empty-handed.

As he trudged through the forest, his mind weighed down with worry and exhaustion, he suddenly stumbled upon a cave. It was hidden behind a large boulder, almost as if it was purposely concealed. Intrigued, Winston cautiously approached the cave, his heart racing with anticipation.

There were signs that someone had recently been there - a small fire pit, scattered bones, and a makeshift bed of leaves and branches.

Winston's heart raced with hope. Maybe this was a clue to Kitty's whereabouts. He carefully made his way into the cave, cautiously looking around for any signs of his mate.

He couldn't help but feel guilty. He was supposed to protect Kitty, but he had failed. He should have been with her on her walk, instead of getting caught up in his own selfish wants. He should have never let her out of his sight.

Angry at himself for his incompetence, Winston let out a frustrated roar. He felt like a failure as a mate and protector. Tears welled up in his eyes as he thought about Kitty, alone and scared somewhere out there.

He tried sniffing the leaves and smelled her on them. Winston's frustration grew as his bond failed to feel anything.

Rage or maybe luck, led Winston to the innermost part of the cave, where he found symbols drawn on the ground.

Symbols he had seen Kitty draw.

Symbols he knew Eros understood.

His run back home felt like an eternity of divine punishment. All so suddenly, the trees seemed to have doubled in numbers and the creepers and bushes seemed to have grown denser, plotting to push back Winston.

He slashed his way through like a warrior longing to return to his wife and finally reached the doorstep. Without waiting, Winston slammed the door open and Eros threw a bucket of water on his head

"Sorry. I thought it was red beauty aagin" Eros scratched the back of his head

Winston didn't mind him "I found a lead"

◈◆◈◆

Eros frowned, tracing his fingers upon the words Kitty had carved

'flame city'

His eyes darkened as a thought passed him, gripping the stone tightly in his hands until it crushed to dust.

"Where is she?" Curtis demanded

Eros would have bashed the male's head on the wall, but he simply wasn't that emotionally well. With all the politeness he had in him, Eros turned to acknowledge Curtis

"Flame City"

"Flame City?" Winston repeated, his eyes blackening as a show of his anger.

Alpin moved his hand over the stone debris, slightly frowning at the feel of it. It wasn't anything normal. It was cool to touch, just like his frost. And, it was the same stone his city used to preserve food after occasions.

This stone warded of unwelcomed beasts too, it cut the bond between mates - disorienting a male whenever he tried to learn of his mate's wearabouts.

"We should leave immediately" Shuu paled

"No" Eros denied "We have to take care of the kids first"

"I do not care for those measley creatures. All that matters to me is my snow" Curtis hissed menacingly

"Then leave" Eros spat "I will not just leave behind my cubs. I would always make sure they are safe. Ferals like you are the reason we have such bad reputation. Your mate gave birth to them, don't you think she'd be sad to find out her cubs died because of her mate's incompetence"

Curtis had heard enough. His heart pounded on his ears and his tail smashed the Wall just beside Eros. Such power display would have worked on beasts of normal vigour but Eros just stood there in his male form, not caring.

"STOP IT" Shuu yelled. "Why you fighting. Weren't you the one who came to us for help" He jabbed a finger at Curtis "And you" he turned to Eros "Stop provoking him"

Shuu took a deep breath to calm himself down "Look. I don't care what you do first, but I agree with Eros. Kitty would be mad if we don't make sure Alice and Snakes are safe. But, I also agree that we would simply push back if we didn't leave now"

"I just want her safe. It's my fault I didn't protect her well. She was taken in front of my eyes. I don't know how I can apologise but I still wish she'd let me stay. I -" Shuu choked back a sob

"Not your fault" Alpin's eyes softened "We'll find he- them" He turned to Curtis

Curtis remained silent.  His eyes narrowed as he contemplated what the others were saying.  He sighed, reluctantly conceding to Shuu and Eros. 

"Now. Why don't you say sorry?" Eros edged

"Now, you're asking to be killed"

A/n

A bit short? Ik. It was originally longer but I thought it would be better in the next chapter. It looked weird to me so I cut the chapter in half.

Hehe