Chapter 11

Charlie sat in the lobby waiting for her father to return, worried that something might happen to him or that he might do something stupid.

Charlie: I didn't mean that.

Minutes passed, and her father didn't return. Several residents passed by to check on her, offering to take her for a walk or to eat so she could relax, but she refused. Hours went by, and her father still hadn't returned. Deep down, she was blaming herself for everything.

It was supposed to be a day for father and daughter, a celebration of her redeeming a sinner to enter heaven, a chance to be closer to the person who inspired her to fight for her dreams. The evening was approaching, and Lucifer still hadn't arrived. Right now, Charlie wondered if her father hated her now, if he had hated her since she had called him that years ago.

Charlie: I didn't mean that.

Night had fallen, and her father still hadn't returned, and probably wouldn't.

Vaggie: It's time to go to bed.

Charlie: You go, I'll keep waiting.

Vaggie: Charlie...

Charlie: Please, I need to talk to him when he gets here.

Vaggie: Okay.

In the end, she was alone in the lobby, her gaze fixed on the door, waiting for her father to arrive at any moment. The hours passed, and nothing changed. Charlie was gradually falling asleep but remained steady, she didn't want the day to end like this, but she couldn't do anything but close her eyes and let sleep take over.

She lay on the sofa waiting for her father, but nothing happened while she was awake. She didn't even feel when a shadow approached her to lift her and take her to her room without her noticing, observed by a cat-like person.

The next day, Charlie woke up to find herself alone in her room. Deep down, she hoped it was her father who had carried her there so she could rest better. She hurried to get dressed to go down to the lobby, but then she encountered Alastor on his way to his radio station.

Alastor: Hello, my dear colleague, how did you wake up today?

Charlie: Very well, Alastor, thank you.

Alastor: That's good because it wasn't easy to get you to your room; you were too asleep to move.

Just hearing that, Charlie could feel her heart sink.

Charlie: You were the one who took me to my room?

Alastor: That's right, now if you'll excuse me, I have to make the announcement for the hotel's reopening on the radio. See you.

Disappointed, she went to the lobby and approached the drink stand where Husk was cleaning.

Charlie: Give me a glass.

Husk: Drinking in the morning? Are you me?

Charlie: Just do it, I'm not in the mood.

Husk: Whatever you say.

After serving her, Charlie hurried to drink it and looked down.

Charlie: The reopening is tomorrow, sinners can redeem themselves, and in return? Now my father hates me to the point where he doesn't want to see me.

Husk: That's not what I saw last night.

Charlie: What do you mean?

Husk: Who do you think took you to your room?

Charlie: It was Alastor, he told me on the way here.

Husk: As if that bastard would do something like that; I saw it with my own cat-like eyes, which can see well in the dark.