☆ Nine ☆

The bell rings, and I scramble from the washing up bowl to answer it, throwing the checked tea towel on the side. I open the door, and in front of me, Jill is beaming broadly. She steps aside and Verity smiles shyly at me. She is dressed sensibly, with a black halter neck and white skirt, almost... old money. Mia educated me on all of the fashion aesthetics, telling me how important it was that I knew. I don't really think it is, but it's... interesting? I guess.

"Hi, Verity. It's nice to see you again. You've grown up so much!"

Last time I saw her, she was seven, wearing ballerina dresses and yellow wellies, and long pin straight hair. She seems to have grown overnight, but it has actually been sixteen years and now she's twenty- three. I remember her and Mia running around, playing tag and you running up and down hills to catch them up, until you got pregnant with Joe, and Jill took over. I miss how young they used to be, how carefree. Most of all, I miss you. How you interacted with them, with us. How caring and gentle you were. I miss you Kate.

"Leo?"
"I– sorry. Come on in." I move to the side, opening the door wider and letting them step into the foyer.
"Max will be here soon. He's finding somewhere to park."
"Ah. Good luck finding somewhere decent— oh, is this him now?"

Verity looks up from unzipping her shoes and beams as her fiancé comes to the door, leaning his arm on the doorframe.

"You must be Max. Come in."

He smiles, handing the car keys to Verity, and pressing a kiss onto her cheek, and wrapping an arm around her waist, looking at her with the same amount of love in his eyes that I used to look at you with. He walks over to me and offers me a polite smile.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr DiCaprio. I'm Max. Verity's fiancé." His grip on my hand is strong, and I pat him on the shoulder. There is a sparkle in his eyes, and a gentle blush to his cheeks. His hair is combed, but wild, kind of like Joe's, kind of like mine in Titanic. My cheeks ache from the smile breaking onto my face as I usher Jill, Verity, and Max into the living room. They sit at the table. Joe is already at the head of the table, where he always sits. Jill sits opposite my seat, with Mia and Max next to her. Next to my chair, Bear, and Verity sit down. I assess the situation. We've not had this many people here in years.

When you were... alive, Joe sat at the head of the table, you sat opposite me, probably only to start footsie wars– next to Bear, and Mia sat next to me. Seeing someone else in your seat — even if it's someone I kind of know – is a little unnerving, and I almost break a sweat. I purse my lips, darting my eyes across the table. Red candles flicker softly, and the lights are dim, pensive. Not romantic, just relaxing. Supposed to be anyway.

"You've got a nice house, Leo. I don't think I've ever been to Belsize Park, or a house that feels this homely."

I turn my head slowly over to her and smile. "Thanks. It was all Kate's doing. She was so good at making places feel like home. Maybe it was just her presence."

Mia and Joe bow their heads and I see Bear clutch his ear, a sign he doesn't want to talk about you. I nod slowly, and place a hand on his arm, rubbing slowly. I sit beside him and he curls into my lap. I rock him for a few seconds, and feel ten eyes burn into my skin.

"He doesn't like to speak about her." I explain. Jill nods sympathetically.

"Mia, honey, do you mind getting the rosé?"

She nods, and disappears into the kitchen. She quickly returns and pours our drinks into our glasses, and pours some Coke for Joe and Bear. I wouldn't mind if Joe drank, but he's not shown any interest in it so far.

"Dad, the fish is about done. Do you want me to serve it up?"
I smile. "Thanks Mia. Joe, go help your sister please."
Joe smiles in an attempt to be polite, and trudges behind Mia. I look down to Bear, who is sniffling into my shirt.