Chapter Twenty Six

Bolton wanted to scream at the relentless, irritating beeping noise ringing in his ears. It was doing his head in. Had he set an alarm on his phone by accident? No, his alarm didn't sound like that. But something was beeping and it was annoying!

He slowly opened his eyes, squinting at the harsh, bright lights above him. His vision was blurry and fuzzy, like someone's vision would be if they needed glasses and weren't wearing them. His throat felt like sandpaper and his head was pounding.

He didn't know much, but he knew that he was lying down. He could tell by the way the lights were shining above him. He couldn't see his surroundings, but they didn't feel familiar. The mattress underneath him was flat, but firm, the cushions under his head were made of a scratchy material. His clothes clung to him, making him feel claustrophobic. His body felt heavy, tied down by a thousand weights.

The smell of disinfectant and air freshener floated up his nose. Dozens of different noises were ringing in his ears. People talking, alarms beeping, footsteps echoing.

Once his vision had finally improved and adjusted, he was able to look around properly. He was confused to say the least when he saw the machine beeping away next to him and all the tubes and IV's attached to him. He was suddenly aware of a mask covering his face, helping him to breathe. He flexed his hands and wrists slowly, feeling the cannula's lodged deep into his veins.

Then, he remembered what had happened. It all came flooding back to him at once and suddenly, he wished that darkness would consume him once more. He didn't want to be awake. His attempt to jump off the roof had been with the intent to end his life. It was clear it hadn't worked. Either that or whatever he knew and had been taught about the afterlife was wrong. As frustrating as it was, he figured it was the first one. Why could nothing ever go his way? Was he really so bad at everything that he couldn't even successfully end his life?

"Bolton?"

He looked up to see a male Doctor hovering above him.

Great.

"My name is Doctor Ryan. You jumped off a roof, do you remember?"

Bolton nodded. How could he forget?

"We're going to get you sorted and on the mend ok?"

Bolton nodded again. He didn't want to be sorted and on the mend. He wanted his plan to have worked.

...

It was 9:30AM the next morning when Eddie woke up to his phone ringing on the table next to him. He quietly reached for it, rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he put the device to his ear.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is that Mr Lawson?" A male voice asked

"Yes, that's me"

"Mr Lawson, its Doctor Ryan. I have an update on Bolton"

"Oh, hi. How is he doing?"

"Bolton has woken up and is responding well. The psychologist is coming to speak to him in the next half an hour. I was wondering if you would be able to come and sit with him?"

Eddie felt his heart flood with relief at those words.

"Yes, of course. Give me ten minutes and I'll be there"

He ended the call, throwing his jacket on. He thought about leaving Rachel to sleep, since she had been up feeding Annabelle at 1AM and 4AM, but he quickly changed his mind. If she woke up and he wasn't there, she would panic. The last thing she needed right now was to be worrying.