Chapter Twenty Eight

Two hours later...

Eddie jumped into his car, heading in the direction of Rachel's. After having had a good five hours of sleep, a shower and a substantial meal, he was feeling more awake and refreshed. He had woken up to a text from Kim to tell him Rachel and Annabelle were being discharged, as well as a voicemail from Doctor Ryan, who had explained that Bolton hadn't changed his mind about talking to the Psychologist yet. So it was good news and bad news.

Eddie was glad that Rachel and Annabelle had been discharged from the hospital and were both doing well, but he was nervous about telling Rachel about Bolton. The last thing she needed right now was stress. But he knew she would ask about Bolton and he couldn't lie to her. This wasn't something he could handle on his own, he knew that. It was going to be a team effort.

Fifteen minutes later, he pulled up on Rachel's drive. He paused as he got out of the car, turning back around to grab the pair of keys Rachel had given him. Knocking on the door with a newborn and an exhausted Rachel in the house didn't seem like a good idea. And Rachel would need her house and car keys back too. He also grabbed the little gift bag, which had a couple of presents in for Annabelle. On his way home from the hospital this morning, he'd stopped at the supermarket and bought her a few things.

Quietly, he slid the key into the lock, gently pushing on the door handle and stepping into the hallway. The house was quiet, but he could hear the muffled voices coming from the TV in the living room.

He pushed the living room door open gently, smiling at the sight before him. Rachel was curled up on the sofa, her chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm as she slept. Annabelle was sleeping soundly in the grey and white polka dot Moses basket next to her. Kim was curled up in the chair on the other end of the room, sleeping too. A TV show was playing quietly in the background.

Eddie sat down on the other sofa as Rachel began to stir. He watched as her eyes fluttered open slowly. A soft smile spread across her face when she saw him.

"Hey" he whispered

"Hi" she replied, sitting up slowly

"When did you get here?" she asked

"About five minutes ago. I would have knocked, but I didn't know if you or Annabelle were sleeping, so I let myself in with your keys" he explained

Rachel nodded.

A soft whimper came from the Moses basket. Rachel reached over, lifting Annabelle into her arms as she shushed her gently. Annabelle's wails grew louder, communicating to Rachel that she was hungry. Now that her milk had come in, she could feed her easily.

"Alright, darling, it's alright" she whispered, placing the feeding pillow around her and pulling down her pyjama top

Annabelle's loud cries turned into soft whimpers again as she started to feed. Rachel sighed in relief, rubbing the little girl's back gently as she covered herself with her cardigan to stop Eddie from feeling uncomfortable.

"Is she ok?" Kim asked, now wide awake

"Just hungry" Rachel told her

Kim stood up, smiling at Eddie as she passed him.

"I'm going to make a drink, do either of you want anything?" she offered

"I'll have a glass of water please, Kim" Rachel answered

Kim nodded.

"Anything for you, Eddie?"

"No, thanks, Kim"