Chapter Thirty Four

Three hours later...

Rachel wasn't sure she could have felt more proud of Bolton if she tried! The simple act of hearing his name being called and watching him walk across the stage had almost had her welling up with tears. It was a reminder of all he had accomplished.

Three years ago, she had been looking into the eyes of a haunted and broken twenty-year old. She'd watched on helplessly as he had jumped off the top of the school roof, despite her efforts to talk him down. She'd gone into labour whilst waiting for news on his condition. For a while, she had been worried that he would be gone before she could help him. She'd seen firsthand the detrimental impact losing his Mum had, had on him.

Now, she was looking at someone else entirely. She was looking at a twenty-four year old who was thriving. He had a spring in his step and an energy about him that she had only known him to have when he had been a teenager. He was confident and passionate, the weight of the world no longer pressing on his shoulders. Bolton had turned his life around over the last three years. It could have so easily have gone the opposite way for him. His world had shattered when his Mum had died, and it would have been so easy to give in and drown in the deep, dark waters of grief and depression. But he hadn't. Instead, he had chosen to fight his demons, and Rachel couldn't have been more proud of him. She had always said that he would go far in life, that he would be able to do anything he put his mind to. And she had been right. Here he was, with a degree in Sports Science, going on to do his PGCE to become a Secondary School PE Teacher.

Rachel was the first to greet Bolton when he stepped out of the venue into the chilly November morning. She pulled him into a hug.

"I'm so proud of you!" she said

Bolton smiled at her.

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you and Eddie, Rachel" he pointed out

"Nonsense, you did all of this on your own, Bolton. I'm so pleased for you! Your Mum would be so incredibly proud of you"

Bolton nodded, swallowing the lump in his throat. After all this time, he still craved his Mother's presence. He'd never imagined she would miss his graduation. He'd never imagined her to be gone from his life. He missed her, so much. But he'd done all of this for her, in her memory. All she'd ever wanted was for him to be happy and to go to University and make something of himself. He had done just that.

"Thanks for everything, Rachel. I mean it; I really wouldn't be stood here without you"

It was true. He owed everything to Rachel. She had saved him. Because of her, he had gotten the support he needed. She'd believed in him when he no longer believed in himself. When he'd wanted to die, she'd provided him with reasons to live. She had given him a job, a flat and had helped him to get back on his feet. She had shown him that his life was far from over. Over the last three years, he had found himself going to her house for dinner on a Thursday night, bonding with Annabelle and catching up. If he was struggling, she had been there to support. He was so incredibly grateful to her.

Rachel smiled at him.

Eddie walked over to the two of them. Annabelle was now wide awake, having slept through the whole ceremony. He'd unclipped her from her pushchair, holding her hand as she toddled along.

"UNCLE BOLTON! UNCLE BOLTON!" Annabelle squealed, running over to him before Eddie could stop her

Bolton caught her just before she crashed into his legs, lifting her into his arms.

"UNCLE BOLTON DID IT!" she cried, clapping her hands

"Yeah, he did!" he smiled, placing his graduation cap on her head, delighting in the giggle that escaped her lips

"Mummy, I gadruated!" she giggled

Rachel and Eddie laughed.

"Come on, you, give Bolton his hat back. We need to get going" Rachel said, lifting Annabelle into her arms

Annabelle pouted, handing the cap back to Bolton.

"Are you coming with us? Or are you staying?" Rachel asked him

"I'm going to stay. I'm going out for a drink with a few friends" he told her

"Alright, well, I'll see you for dinner on Thursday" she said, hugging him with one arm so not to squish Annabelle

Bolton nodded.

"Well done, mate. I'm really pleased for you" Eddie cut in, offering his hand for Bolton to shake

"Thanks, Eddie" he smiled, shaking his hand

"Bye bye, Uncle Bolton" Annabelle whispered sadly

"Bye, munchkin. I'll see you later, yeah?" Bolton replied, rubbing the little girl's cheek gently

She nodded, smiling at him as Rachel put her back in the pushchair.

"Rachel?" Bolton called after her as they were about to walk away

She told Eddie to go on ahead, before turning around to face him.

"You've helped me to get back on my feet and be happy again. I think it's time I return the favour, by giving you some advice"

She frowned at him.

"I know you miss Adam, nothing will ever change that. But, you have Eddie. He's a great guy and I see the way you two are around each other. I'm not saying rush into anything, but I think... just consider it, yeah? I think Eddie would make you happy, and that's what I think Adam would have wanted for you and Annabelle, for you to move forward and find happiness" he told her

She nodded quietly, unsure of what to say.

"I'll see you later, Bolton"