Chapter Fifteen

Two hours later...

Eddie was on his way out to the hospital car park, having received a text that his taxi had arrived to pick him up. He planned to go back to the school, pick up his car and drive over to Rachel's to fetch her hospital bag. He also wanted to stop at his flat to get a change of clothes, since he didn't know how long he'd be at the hospital for.

The last two hours had flown by. He hadn't even realised it was 6:35AM until he'd seen daylight starting to peer in through the blinds and had looked up at the clock. To his surprise, he wasn't even tired. The adrenaline and anxiety pumping through him was keeping him awake. He was grateful for the fact it was half term as it meant he didn't have to call in sick.

He had spent the last two hours sat by Bolton's bedside, hoping that he would wake up. He hadn't of course. It seemed less and less likely that he would now. Doctor Ryan hadn't said that, but to Eddie, it seemed it was the case. His condition hadn't changed or improved since they had brought him out of surgery. It could go either way.

Once the taxi had dropped him off at the school, he got into his car, making a quick stop at his flat. He changed quickly before leaving again to head over to Rachel's.

To say it had been two years, he still knew the way off by heart. He'd lost count of the times he'd made the trip to her house from his flat when they were together. He remembered the last time he had been to Rachel's house. It was a day he'd rather forget. The memory of going to collect his things after Melissa's bombshell revelation sent a pang of pain through his heart. He remembered the heartbroken look on Rachel's face when she'd answered the door, her red rimmed, tearful eyes and trembling lip as he wrapped his arms around her to say goodbye. He remembered the trip from her house to his flat. It had felt ridiculously long.

He smiled softly as he parked next to her Audi TT. Even though it had been two years, she still had the same sporty car that she had been adamant wasn't sporty. He was sure she'd drive that car forever if she could.

Grabbing her house keys, he walked over to the front door. It felt odd, standing on her doorstep after all this time. It felt even weirder when he stepped into her hallway, closing the door behind him.

The place hadn't changed much. She had the same cream carpet in the hallway; her shoes were lined up neatly by the door. Her coat was hanging over the banister. The place smelt clean and fresh, like it always had. He wanted to say nothing had changed, but everything had changed.

His attention turned to the photo frames lining the wall. They held pictures, most of them of Rachel and another man, who he assumed was Adam. There was one of them on their wedding day; they were stood outside the registry office, sharing a kiss whilst confetti was being thrown in the air. Adam was in a black suit with a smart, black bow tie. Rachel looked stunning in her pearl white dress, hair curled and tied up, her makeup simple, but elegant.

The one next to it was of the two of them in Rome, stood in front of the fountain in the main square. Adam was stood behind Rachel, his chin resting on her shoulder and arms wrapped around her waist as they smiled at camera.

The one below it had been taken in a restaurant. The two of them were sat on the same chair, Rachel sitting on Adam's lap. They were beaming brightly, Adam's arms wrapped tightly around Rachel's waist whilst hers were wound around his neck.

To his surprise, Eddie felt no pang of jealousy as he looked at the photos of them together. Instead, he smiled, warmth filling his heart. It was clear that Rachel had found happiness with Adam. Eddie had worried that he had shattered her heart into a million pieces that she would never come back from her sister's betrayal. But she had, of course she had. She had picked herself up and taken a leap of faith. All he'd ever wanted was for Rachel to be happy, and it seemed that she'd had that over the last few years. He just wished it hadn't been ripped from her in such a brutal way.

Pulling himself from his thoughts, he went into the living room to get on with the task at hand.

Thankfully, Rachel had left the hospital bag on the sofa in plain view. He grabbed it, swinging it onto his shoulder before exiting her home. He planned to go back to the hospital to sit with Bolton for a couple of hours before dropping off Rachel's hospital bag. He figured it was best to stay out of the way and to give her some privacy.