Chapter Twenty Nine

Once Rachel was dressed, she and Eddie left the house and headed to the hospital, leaving Kim with Annabelle. The thought of leaving her little girl this soon made her feel sick. But Bolton needed her help and she wasn't going to let him down. She wouldn't be gone long and then she would be back. That's what she kept telling herself anyway.

She couldn't deny it, she was a little nervous to see Bolton. Seeing him that night on the roof, shaking and crying, a shadow of his former self had really shaken her. He'd wanted to end his life, and if he had succeeded, there was nothing she could have done to stop him.

Of course, he was alive, but that didn't mean he was ok. Rachel had her chance to help him. But what if she couldn't? No one was beyond help, she knew that. But what if he refused her help? There was only so much that she could do, and the thought of him pushing her away frightened her. Bolton was no longer her Pupil, but that didn't stop her from caring about him or wanting to support him, and she wanted him to know that. But what if the help was too little, too late?

She wanted to try and get to the bottom of why. What had pushed him so far over the edge? Bolton was a tough, strong teenager, she had always thought that. Something significant had to have happened to cause him to give up on himself and the world. But what? That was what she needed to find out.

They slowly made their way down the corridor of the ICU. Rachel was still a little sore and achy after giving birth, walking fast was a challenge. She was grateful that Eddie had slowed down for her and had let her link her arm through his for support and balance.

When they got to the door of Bolton's room, Doctor Ryan was there to greet them. Rachel smiled at him, shaking his hand as he introduced himself.

"Has there been any change?" she asked him

"I'm afraid not. He's still refusing to talk to the Psychologist" Doctor Ryan told her

Rachel sighed heavily.

"We still can't get in touch with his Mum. Bolton is also refusing to give us any information about her or her whereabouts"

"Something doesn't add up with that. I know Candice, she would pick up the phone for any of her kids, no matter the circumstances" Rachel reasoned

Eddie nodded in agreement.

"We will keep trying, of course, but I don't think it's going to be possible to get in touch with her" Doctor Ryan explained

"Mrs Fleet, you were on the roof with Bolton before he jumped, weren't you?" he added

Rachel nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"What state of mind would you say he was in?"

"Uhm- frantic and... heartbroken I think. Something had really upset or triggered him, he really wasn't himself" she explained

"Did he tell you anything about how he was feeling?"

"He just said that he couldn't do it anymore and that I couldn't help him. I don't really know anything else, I'm sorry. Up until the other night, I hadn't seen him for two years" she told him

Doctor Ryan nodded.

"I was wondering if you'd let me try talking to him one-to-one? I might be able to get through to him" she requested

"Of course. He's awake if you want to go through"

Rachel took a deep breath as she pushed open the door to the hospital room.

Bolton was sat on the bed, staring blankly at the wall in front of him. His face was bruised and swollen, his eyes completely devoid of emotion. He didn't even look up or react when Rachel entered. She had a feeling getting through to him was going to be harder than she'd originally thought. But it wasn't going to stop her from trying.