read your mind ★ sabrina carpenter

hello! welcome back to holy ground. i think i've figured out how i want to update this book. im thinking i post a chapter or two every thursday. if a lot is happening in a couple of chapters that all take place during a single episode i might post them all together to binge read.
happy reading!!
✎ bia

⋆.˚🪐⋆

five | 1x01

I WRANGLED BELLY AN INVITATION to be a debutante.”

“Oh, so this is why you had to stop at the club?” Laurel turned to her and Susannah just shrugged.

“Is that the thing where the girls wear white dresses and curtsy?” Belly asked, sounding a little confused.

“It's when a girl comes of age and is presented to society.” Susannah shrugged a little, “I-I know it sounds silly, but I swear it's fun. Ask Rory, she was a debutante in the fall, back home.”

The blonde woman gave the younger brunette a look and Rory started nodding. They had discussed this on the phone a few weeks ago and Rory had loved the idea of getting to watch Belly be a debutante too.

“Yeah yeah.” Rory grabbed Belly’s hand as she spoke, “It felt a little stuffy at the start but I had an amazing time. I met some really cool people.”

Rory could tell that the idea didn’t seem as exciting to Belly as she hoped so she continued, “Uh, remember my friend Asher?”

“Yeah.” Belly nodded, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. Conrad sat up slightly, listening more intently.

“Yeah, so he was my escort and we had so much fun it felt like a fairy tale.” Rory grinned thinking of how much fun she had dancing and dressing up.

“Girls come from all over New England to Cousins just to be a part of it. You'll make so many new friends too.” Susannah added.

“I cannot believe you are still holding on to this archaic dream.” Laurel laughed, yet there was little humor behind it.

Belly could sense her mother wasn’t supportive of the idea, and a part of her had expected it as soon as Susannah and Rory started talking about it.

“No Laur, I thought that too because when I was a deb it was about finding a husband, but now it's about networking.” Marie set her wine glass down, “Rory didn’t even know it and she had sweet-talked a rep from the administration department of NYU.”

“They teach you leadership skills, like how to market yourself, and it benefits charity.” Susannah continued to list.

“It's, um, like a bat mitzvah.” Marie joked.

“It is not like a bat mitzvah Mar.” Laurel shook her head, “There is nothing religious about a debutante ball.”

“The whole deb scene is kinda stupid,” Theo muttered, and Rory picked up a piece of bread from her plate and threw it at him.

“Shut up.”

“He’s right, it's bullshit.”

All eyes turned to Conrad, but he could specifically feel Rory’s disappointed gaze from his side. He continued, “It's for sheep.”

“No, it's not,” Rory spoke in a firm tone and the boy looked up to meet her gaze, but she had looked away and was now turned to Belly, even if she wanted to say the words directly to the boy next to her.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity, it’s part of a tradition symbolizing the bonds of girlhood and,” she smiled a little, “It looks good on college applications.”