just a girl ★ no doubt

ten | 1x02

"OH WHAT HAVE I DONE?" Belly whispered, more to herself, but Rory heard it and laughed as she pulled the girl over.

Belly was pushed into a changing room as the mothers and Rory picked out dresses for her to try. 

The dress Rory had worn for her deb ball had been her grandmother's wedding dress that had been redesigned to be her debutante dress.

It was a sleek stark white dress, with an off-the-shoulder neckline, and off-white embroidery on the gown, with a simple bodice that had been altered to hug her taller figure neatly. 

Susannah had come down to New Haven and stayed the weekend of her ball, and multiple pictures of the trip hung in the Fisher house in Boston.

The blonde woman had jokes that she would only replace the pictures when she got the same ones with Rory at the girl's wedding.

Belly tried on dress after dress, but nothing seemed to be good enough for the three moms.

With every new dress, one of them disagreed, and then the other two would disagree and Belly would go try on a new one.

To be fair, they honestly did just want to find the perfect dress for her, but after trying on nine ball gowns the girl was exhausted.

When the last one she wore had been rejected by the mothers, going on 10 for 10 dresses, Belly collapsed into a pile of white tulle, Rory clicking a quick picture of her before coming over to help her up, the mothers fussing over her.

"Are you okay, babe?" Rory asked softly, leading her back to the changing rooms.

"It's too much white I can't do this anymore."

Rory stood outside the changing room, and continued to talk to her, "Well this is just for a debutante ball, what do you think will happen when we get married."

"No, no way." Belly peered her head out from behind the changing room door, "I'm just going to re-wear this dress, I'm never going shopping with them again."

"They can be a handful yes," Rory nodded, pushing her back in, "But they mean well."

"I know." Belly sighed, and Rory assured her that the next one would be the dress before she walked back to the others. And she was kind of right.

"Oh, my God."

Laurel and Rory had been sharing a couch and looked at each other as Belly walked out in her eleventh dress.

"Yeah, uh, it's-it's something." Rory nodded, and Belly looked like she was going to fall again. But Susannah and Marie walked over and awed at the fabric and embroidery work on the dress.

"Oh, you look like a princess." Marie gushed, helping Belly to the mirrors.

"She looks like the Tooth Fairy," Laurel muttered and Rory shrugged.

"Ah. Look at that detail." Susannah fixed Belly's hair, Laurel joining her and Marie by the mirrors, "Everybody's eyes will fall out of their heads when they see our girl."

"I love you so much, but you're ridiculous." Laurel laughed.

"I love you so much, and I know I'm ridiculous," Susannah replied, making them all laugh.

A rack of more dresses was brought over to the group, and Rory looked over them before pulling out a dress, "What about this one?"

"Oh, no, no, no, that one's much too simple," Susannah replied, and Belly's eyes had lit up at the sight of the new dress, seemed to dim slightly.