II. the truth

Mahi sat watching the proceedings in this new house.
She was to get enrolled next morning in a new school here along with her "siblings".

Kavya, her mother, was busily settling her new bag.
And her father had been around, over calls, watching everything but remaining aloof.
She and noticed him steal glances but act like nothing happened.
Just then Vanraj stood up and walked out for an important call.

The weather was not exactly good.
The weather report said there would be a storm.

Just then Kavya's phone buzzed.
She picked up the phone from the nearby table and stared at the name.
Mahi noticed her pale three tones - as if something had gone miserably wrong.
Kavya immediately rushed towards a room.

Something struck Mahi and she tip toed down behind her mother.
Kavya banged the door shut in panic and picked the call.

The door had not been shut, though.
A slight sliver remained, through which Mahi could see and hear everything.

"Anirudh, you called?!", A panicked Kavya asked.
Mahi had no idea about who she was talking to - but she had seen the name in her mother's phone's chat list sometimes.
Ideally, she should have left - but she did not.

She stood hearing.

"Oh God! I'm not in India.. what's wrong with you?! It's too late now! I had told you back then itself but you did not believe me.. and now you want to meet your daughter?!", She was almost shouting.

Whose daughter?
Mahi thought awkwardly.

"No.. listen. Vanraj and I had struck a deal now. Mahi stays with us..", She said calming down slightly,

"Of course Vanraj doesn't love her!", She snapped.

Mahi gulped.
She knew that bit too, but it hurt anyways.

"Had you taken up responsibility, we would be a happy family today. But guess what? You are spineless. I have to stay with Vanraj for the finances, my daughter suffers regularly, and don't you dare act like a saint now."

None of it was making sense.
Responsibility? Whose?
And why would some other uncle take responsibility?
Her Papa hated her.. but why is her mother blaming someone else?

She stood at the door, listening keenly.

"Shut up! Why would I lie?!", Kavya snapped again,
"Of course Mahi is your daughter not Vanraj's."

Mahi stared in silence.
Letting the words wash over her.
It made very little sense to her.

Kavya went on, oblivious,
"I know Anirudh.. you think I am happy with Vanraj? Seriously? He doesn't even consider me his wife. I am literally a trophy wife here, just namesake. I know marrying him was not the best decision of my life! I left him years back.. why do you think? I thought you'd hold me.. but you conveniently ran. Atleast Vanraj is paying for my daughter's expenses."

Mahi's little mind seemed to collect the data.

"Don't you even try, Anirudh. Custody?! Have you lost it? On what basis?", Kavya panicked more.
She paused hearing words from the other end.
"Listen, I can divorce Vanraj and come back to you. But what is the guarantee that you will not run away? And custody just because you are her biological father? Have you lost your mind?"