VII. losing game

Anirudh was not happy.
The clock struck beyond midnight and Kavya had still not showed up.

As far as he knew the woman, she had run back to her V.
He sat back on the sofa exasperated.
Such a doormat. Vanraj didn't leave one chance to humiliate her, and she happily ran back to him again.

He pulled out his phone.

"So she denied.", The lawyer said from the other end.
Despite having fallen from his billionaire throne, Anirudh had always had very strong contacts. That is exactly what helped him get back up.
"Obviously. What next? Custody case?", He asked sighing.
"Look, custody case will take time and there's little chance you'll get it. The court is always a little aligned to handing it over to the mother. And in this case, the mother is quite secure financially as well and has a whole family to back her.", The lawyer said thoughtfully.

"So what now?", Anirudh asked irritably.
"Break some rules, Ani. Force Kavya to hand over the child to you. Use her weakness.. an out of court settlement is always better.", The man replied casually.

"You're making no sense.", He said frankly.
"Anirudh attack Kavya's husband.. use that weakness.", The lawyer said sighing.

Anirudh paused momentarily.
"Will it be safe?", He asked softly.
"Trust me.. if she agrees, you win. If she doesn't and he dies, you win at court. It's a win win situation buddy.", The man replied.

Anirudh gulped.
Anything to have his daughter back.

"I was just saying that-", Kavya sneezed, leaving her statement incomplete.
"As expected. No one's shocked.", Vanraj said casually as he was working on his tablet in the living room.

The kids had finally pulled out their study books and were forced to sit and study.
Pari taking the lead in teaching her younger playmates. Ansh seemed deeply uninterested as he constantly fidgeted with his book, Ishani was sleepy while Mahi was busily shading the apple's drawing in the book with her pencil.

"Can this man stop taunting? How did you even survive with him for twenty five years?", Kavya asked Anupamaa irritably. Vanraj had mentioned almost five times how he had told the former that she'd catch a cold in the rain.
"I swear Kavya, it was terrible.", Anupamaa said sighing as she handed the ginger tea to Kavya.

"Thank god it was terrible.. with that only you have two useless children.. if it was actually good, only Kanha ji knows the consequences.", Baa said eyeing Toshu and Pakhi with narrowed eyes. Both sat at the dining table pretending to be busy.

Vanraj smiled to himself shamelessly.
"The taunting genes have passed down perfectly.", Toshu said pretending to focus on the newspaper - which he was holding upside down.

Pretty much hiding from Kinjal who he had a fight with last night.

"Did you say something?!", Baa snapped.
"What will he say? I don't know why I married him at all.. I should have married a pole instead.", Kinjal said irritably from the kitchen.

"Kinjal..", Anupamaa said immediately indicating Pari with her eyes. The house had finally come to a truce. No one would fight before the kids.
Kinjal mouthed a sorry as she sighed.

"So.. Kavya you came back? Again?", Baa asked.
Kavya glanced at Vanraj who was suddenly engrossed in work.

"Your son wanted me to.", She said, the hint of pride quite evident.
Baa stared at Vanraj who almost buried his face into the tablet.
"Baapre.. He got back a few of his lost braincells? I can't believe it.", Bapuji said casually.

"Oh please Bapuji..", Vanraj said finally.

Kavya stood up and strode back into the bedroom, smiling to herself.
She sat back on the bed, staring up at the wall. She did it again, run back to him.
Vanraj followed her in.