X. the wrecking memory

Kiara Iyer got off her Mercedes, in a white shirt and trousers, a muffler casually around her neck.
She had just been driven down here from Hollywood.

"Get the car back to the house.", She said as she turned towards the house.
Panic had settled on her the moment Kavya had called.
She had called up Venky, and he was still on the way.

Kiara walked down to the door and rang the doorbell.
From a very young age, she had been more of her sister's mother than a sibling. They had an age gap of almost seven years.
With an irresponsible father, everything had fallen on her shoulders. Kiara was grateful to have Venky by her side throughout.

Unfortunately, she couldn't say the same for Kavya.
First it was the irresponsible brat Anirudh, and then the over burdened with responsibility and a priority list where Kavya just did not exist - Vanraj.

Kiara had told her sister a hundred times to stop this, to step back, but she had been stubborn.
Now that everything has fallen apart, she had finally decided to remember her "sis-mom".

Nandini had not been informed about this yet. Kiara had watched her daughter build a shell around herself post the break up with Samar.
The news of his death had shook her to the core. She had become completely reserved and rarely made an appearance.
Kiara had just accepted that all her family members had a cursed fate in love and given up.

The door finally opened.

Anupamaa stood before her.
Kiara paused to look at the woman. She had heard of her a lot, from Kavya is guilt and later admiration and from Rittika - in jealousy. Anupamaa smiled at her.
"Rittika had given a very accurate description of yours.", Kiara said with a beaming smile, "Beautiful, but in a way that not everyone understood."
Anupamaa smiled, a little awkward now.
"Theenk you..", She mumbled, not knowing exactly how to react. Although she knew the complete backstory now, it still felt foreign.
"Di!", Kavya rushed down to the door.

Anupamaa stood aside as the sisters hugged each other tightly.
The drama that had ensued just moments ago, completely forgotten.
When Kavya had rushed back home yesterday, she had hugged Mahi tightly - and then proceeded to lock the child alone in a room as punishment. Although it was painful to watch Mahi sobbing and saying "sorry" - everyone in the room had watched in silence.
Wrong was wrong, and punishment was necessary.
Although Vanraj had obviously not liked it, due to his memory wiped off and the obvious disarray he had held onto silence.

This morning, he had woken up early and opened the door of the small room that actually belonged to Pari. Kavya had not been impressed with him intruding in her "teaching the child the right thing" - they had just finished with their quarrel and headed to a tea/coffee break.

Vanraj sat in the bedroom, back against the bed. Screaming had been a terrible idea he realised. His head ached, like it would almost tear apart. The cause of controversy, "Mahi the Explorer" as Pari had named her in whispers while he and Kavya quarrelled, was now peacefully asleep. While putting her to sleep Vanraj had placed his hand under her face. And now, he did not have the heart to remove it, "what if she woke up?". So it remained under her face, while she slept on it like it was her favourite pillow.
The screaming had led him to having certain strange flashbacks. A blurred vision of something that had happened, but he could not clearly remember.
Voices rang in his ears. It felt like he was remembering, but not completely.

"Papa..", Mahi mumbled in her sleep. He immediately sat up, snapping out of his own disorientation.
"Yes.. I am here only beta..", He said softly, turning on one side and bending a little towards her, gently brushing her hair back.
"I don't want to leave you..", She mumbled, rubbing her face on his hand to sleep more comfortably.
Vanraj's heart wrenched. He did not know what exactly ensued before he lost his memory, but what had led a little child to actually run away from her mother, alone, afraid, just to find him?

"I won't let you..", He whispered. He noticed her lips curve into a soft enchanting smile. She was probably dreaming this conversation. He gulped as he instantly looked around. No one in sight. He edged closer to her and softly kissed her forehead.
His own heart skipped a beat. As if he had been devoid of loving anyone for years.
He sat up straight like before, his gaze fixed on her.
Such an angelic child, she can melt the heart of the devil.

Mahi turned in her sleep, finally releasing his hand.
He had heard the door open, a guest had arrived. Taking the opportunity, he quietly slipped out of the bed and strode out of the room.