XX. found family

Anupamaa had never felt this kind of a mix of emotions.
She did not know what exactly to feel.
Good? Because she was finally going to be Mahi's official mother, finally she would get over her guilt of not being a good mother, finally she would feel better.
or, bad? Because of this purpose she was literally putting her name with the man she never wanted back.

She remembered Kavya's letter where she had written she was giving Vanraj back to her.
And Anupamaa had frankly thought, she did not want him back anymore.
She straightened up, wearing a plain cotton saree.
Almost no make up, just her hair plaited as usual and a little lipstick to look presentable.

I am not taking him back at all. I am doing this for an innocent child. And I know, he will not cross his boundaries. He does not want to lose his last hope.
She thought as she walked out of the room.

Shah House was holding back onto it's excitement.
Dimpy Titu had worked hard to get the varmalas, mangalsutra and sindoor on Baa's insistence.
Baa Bapuji were trying very hard to not smile away.
And Anupamaa knew, when the kids had been informed, they had been skeptically glad.

Vanraj walked out of his room, wearing a white shirt over trousers.
Anupamaa paused, staring at him.
Only his moustache was off, because otherwise, he was wearing the exact same clothes he had worn to their divorce.

"You look so pretty!", Ansh said grinning up at Anupamaa, as she tore her gaze off Vanraj.
"Obviously.. She is my Badi Maa.", She heard Mahi.
She looked to her side.
Mahi walked out from behind her father, looking proud as she dusted her non existent collar.
She wore a simple t-shirt with jeans. It was a little mismatched.
Obviously Vanraj Shah's choice.

Anupamaa sighed internally.
This man had been making his daughter wear mismatched clothes for two years.

"Huh! So what? She is my Dadi.", Ansh said, sticking his tongue out.
Baa Bapuji had made the kids take a day off from school, as if this was some festival they needed to attend.
"She is my Badi Maa. Maa is a closer relation than Dadi.", Mahi said, her hands on her waist, back straightened, and nose high.

Vanraj watched his daughter, amused.
It was not like he was seeing her happy and giving it back to Ansh for the first time.
But, there was something different about her today.
She was glowing differently, she was happy from within.
He had never seen her this happy.

"Fine fine.. No more fighting.", Anupamaa said breaking into a smile.
Vanraj stared at her.
She probably would not notice he was wearing the divorce clothes.
She obviously did not care about him. This was a deal marriage and that is how it would be.
He put his hand in his pocket. He felt it.
The torn piece of her saree that had stuck to his watch on the day of divorce.
Somehow he had managed to keep it, even after all these years.

"It's time to go guys!", Titu said happily.
Vanraj nodded, and so did Anupamaa.
Baa did a little aarti for them as they proceeded towards the door.
"I am also coming!", Mahi said pouting.
"Haa.. you come with us in the cab.", Titu said immediately, "We are also going to sign as witnesses."
Dimpy nodded.

"No.", Both Anupamaa and Vanraj said in unison.
Mahi looked at them, a little taken aback.
They looked at each other awkwardly.
"I mean..", Anupamaa mumbled, clearing her throat, "Mahi will come with us. In our car."
"Exactly.", Vanraj added.

Mahi's lips broke into a beautiful smile.
She immediately rushed down to them.
"Thank you!", She said beaming as she held her hands up for them to hold.
Anupamaa and Vanraj shared a glance, with a smile, as they held her hand with one hand, together.

"All the best.", Baa said warmly.
Anupamaa nodded, as she gulped.
The three of them walked out of the house together.

Mahi climbed onto the backseat while Vanraj got onto the driver's seat.
Anupamaa stood awkwardly.
Maybe she should sit on the back seat too.

Mahi immediately came to the window of the back door of the car.
"Sit beside him na.. It's your wedding.", She said in an excited hushed voice.
Anupamaa drew in a deep breath.
She was getting very strong deja vus.

Nevertheless, she climbed onto the front seat and shut the door.
She put her seatbelt.
She had noticed Vanraj edge to put the seat belt on but she pretended to not see, and did it herself.
Vanraj started the car.