III. the art of crying

Vanraj stared at her, completely taken aback.

Who told her?!
He did not.
Kavya?
But why would she?

"Who told you?", He asked softly.
"I know.. you are not my Papa.. someone else is..", She said softly, almost gulping down a sob.

He immediately straightened up, gulping nervously.
There were no words he found in reply.

He placed her chocolate on the nearby table and walked down to the bedroom.
The door was firmly shut this time.

He knocked.

"Who?"
"Open the door, Kavya.", He said sharply.
Kavya immediately unlocked the door, looking at him skeptically.

"We need to talk—"
"No.. something important is going on—"

"It's about your daughter.", He said irritably.
She paused awkwardly and then moved aside.
Vanraj walked in to find Anupamaa, looking tensed.
"Now which crime's confession are you doing here?", He asked turning towards Kavya who shut the door again.

She looked at him in panic.

"First you tell.. why are you here? You don't even look at me normally.", Kavya said, the tone of annoyance evident.
"Who told Mahi that I am not her Papa?", He asked directly.
Anupamaa straightened up immediately.

"What?!", Kavya asked, paling two tones.
"She asked me, almost confirming, that I am not her Papa. It looked like she knows everything.", Vanraj said.
"Can't be. Maybe she said because you hurt her so much.", Kavya said immediately.
"You think I am a fool? She said it like she knew it. She said someone else was her father.", He said, the annoyance increasing with every passing moment.

Anupamaa drew in a deep breath.
She had noticed Mahi walk down towards this room a while back, after that the child looked aloof.

"Kavya..", She mumbled, connecting the dots icyly, "Did you by any chance keep the door open while talking to Anirudh?"

Kavya stared at Anupamaa, past Vanraj.

"Anirudh?! What about him now?", Vanraj asked but the women did not hear.
"I.. I did not see if the door was actually closed..", Kavya mumbled.
Anupamaa drew in a cold breath.

Of course, the child had heard.

"I need you to explain what this has to do with Anirudh!", Vanraj shouted irritably.
Kavya snapped out, eyes welling up with tears.
Same mistake, again.

"Anirudh is seeking custody for Mahi! He wants his biological daughter back! Anything else?!", Kavya shouted in frustration.
"Oh God.. my little child got to know about this..", Kavya mumbled to herself as she rushed out of the room.

Vanraj stood drawing in a cold breath.

"So Anirudh remembered he has a daughter.", Vanraj said, "Nice."

"It is good news for you, isn't it? Now you don't have to force yourself to take responsibility of someone else's child.", Anupamaa said coldly.
Somehow the news did not make her happy.
One reason for of course because Kavya did not want to be with Anirudh anymore.
And that meant, it would be a court case between both of them.