XIX. home

The next morning had some interesting developments in the Shah House. It was early in the morning when Anupamaa called on a family meeting in the living room.

The greatest was that Baa could not believe Anupamaa had just agreed on coming back to the Shah House.
With much reluctance and awkward side glances, Anupamaa chose to reveal that she would remarry Vanraj through court marriage.
Bapuji was skeptical, Vanraj stood in one corner constantly fidgeting with his fingers while everyone else was on the edge of a celebration.

Mahi and the kids were still asleep.
"But, Anu beta, are you sure?", Bapuji asked softly.
Anupamaa inhaled deeply.
"I am, Bapuji.", She said, "This is not because I think he deserves forgiveness or I love him.. I don't."

Vanraj gulped, wishing he was not a part of this discussion.

"It is for Mahi. If a little signing on paper can help her life become normal, I am ready to risk it. I had thought about letting Kavya know.. but I get Mister Shah's point too. Kavya has moved on, and we must not drag her back here and ruin her perfect life.", She said thoughtfully.

"Fine fine.. when are you both going to sign the papers? When will you become Mrs. Shah again?", Baa asked excitedly.
Anupamaa stood awkwardly.
The second question did not seem to fit well with her.

"She will remain Joshi, Baa.", Vanraj said gravely.
Baa fell silent.
"But.. she is marrying you-"
"She is signing up to be Mahi's official mother. She is not marrying me.", He added, firmly.

Anupamaa nodded, inhaling deeply.

Everyone else realised the gravity of the situation and nodded.
"Papa!", They heard from the bedroom.
"She is awake.", Anupamaa said urgently, "You must tell her."
Vanraj gulped.
"Anupamaa.. she just woke up-"
"She needs to know this from you as soon as possible.", She said immediately. He nodded as he walked into the bedroom.

"Leave it!", Mahi was struggling to free her pillow from Ansh who grinned at her, pulling it towards himself. Ishani sat beside them, sighing.
"I won't!", Ansh stuck his tongue out.
"Leave the pillow Ansh..", Vanraj sighed as he walked in.
"Dadu! She is very mean!", Ansh said immediately letting go off the pillow.
"Haww! He was teasing me!", Mahi said immediately pinching Ansh.

"Aaah!", Ansh screamed dramatically.
"You are bad! That is why your Mumma left you!", Ansh snapped at her.

Vanraj paused, as he noticed the change of state in Mahi. She suddenly became immobile and then threw the pillow at Ansh, hard, it missed him by inches as she hopped off the bed and ran out of the room.
"That was very rude, Ansh.", Vanraj said immediately.
Ansh looked down, almost apologetic.

Vanraj turned and rushed out of the room.

"What happened-", Anupamaa asked as they heard the door of Vanraj's room shut loudly.
"Ansh and she were fighting and he mentioned Kavya leaving her.", He said irritably.
Anupamaa sighed.
"Wait, I will go and give Ansh a scolding. This boy really crosses the limits.", Dimpy said irritably as she rushed into the room.

Vanraj jogged down to the door of his bedroom.
"Mahi!", He knocked the door.
The only thing he could hear was the sound of sobs.
"Mahi beta.. open the door.. please.", He said, his voice softening down to a mere whisper. Hearing the child sob felt like someone had torn open a wound, and it bled.
"You know Papa cannot stay away from you..", He added softly, almost begging.

He heard the door unlock.

He immediately rushed in. Mahi had her back towards him as she desperately wiped off her tears.
Anupamaa slowly sneaked down to the door, standing right beside it, peeping inside.