XVII. replacement?

Mahi stood before the canvas.

Badi Maa had come home and was outside, busy having a conversation and catching up with whatever she had missed on.
Her Papa had given Badi Maa a weak smile and nod before leaving under the name of a meeting.
Apparently Badi Maa's engagement had halted for a while, the reason was unclear.

But Mahi did not care.
Something inside her had frozen and lost touch with affection for anyone apart from her Papa.
The headset firm on her head, the music almost booming in her ears, her paint brush hit the canvas, drawing a stormy sea.

The more time passed, the worse it got.
Hiding her anger, her frustration. To watch everyone having a mother while she sat in silence, knowing her mother dumped her and left because she found someone better.
Mahi dipped the paintbrush in white, highlighting the sea.
When this whole story had started, she had believed she was her father's unwanted child.
No doubt, she was, to her biological father.

But now, she knew, she was just a burden on her mother. The one she just wanted to put on someone else and run away into her happily ever after.
And the man she left? 
Her Papa loved Mahi to death, she knew.
The more time passed, the more clear the picture got.

Her Papa loved her, despite knowing how she was indeed a product of infidelity.
Being mature beyond age had truly harmed Mahi. 
She heard the door behind her open.

Vanraj walked in to find his daughter paint a stormy sea.
He inhaled deeply.
He had wanted to share whatever had happened with Anupamaa, but had chosen not to.
She was not going to be here forever and he did not want his daughter to get addicted to Anupamaa's love and care. It could be very addictive.

He walked down to her.
Mahi kept the paintbrush aside and turned to look at him, removing her headsets.
Her lips curved into a soft enchanting smile.
For the first time, Vanraj noticed it was fake.

He gulped, drawing in a sharp breath.
"You are fine?", He asked softly.
Mahi nodded immediately, the smile intact.
He took her hand in his and softly kissed it. He held it, never to let go.
"I have always been honest with you, beta.", He said softly, "And I have tried very hard to be there for you. I doubt I have ever tried this for any other kids of mine."

"I know Papa.. You love me the most!", She said immediately, today he heard the tone.
The "over excited" tone.
"I expect you to be honest with me as well.", He said, taking her hand to his heart, placing it.
"Swear on Papa.. that you are completely fine, and nothing has been bothering you.", He said, a little firm.

Mahi drew in a deep breath.
She gulped.
She truly did remind of someone strongly. The same soft brown eyes, looking away, feeling caught.
He had seen Kavya give a similar look of escapism whenever they tried to talk about her homewrecker mother.
And even though, she had never wanted it, she had transferred the same or even worse trauma to her daughter.

Mahi's silence was enough reply.
"Tell me what it is, Mahi. I deserve to know my little queen hasn't been as happy as she shows.", He whispered.
She desperately blinked off her tears.
"I am fine, Papa.. It's just that.."
He released her hand as she walked down to the bed, trying not to meet his eyes.

"You want me to talk to Kavya? Call her here for a few days so that you can sort-"
"No.", The child's voice quivered.
"Since I have always been honest with you..", Vanraj said as he sat back on the bed, his shoulders had never felt this burdened, "Your mother deserved a better man.. and I refused to let her go unless your custody was given to me. She did not want to leave you."
Mahi turned instantly.
"She wanted her happily ever after more than me, Papa. That will never change.", She said, sharply.