XVIII. a deal of convenience

Vanraj stared at her in the silence of the night.

"Why would you?", He asked simply.
She stood up, taking a step towards him.
"Because she calls me Badi Maa, Mister Shah. I am her mother, maybe not by blood.. but she has given me that title, and I have always believed her to be my own. Yes, I didn't have any rights on her because Kavya was her mother. But, when she has happily moved on and her daughter is in dire need of a mother.. it is my time to step up.", She said, smoothly.

Vanraj inhaled deeply.
"You know how complicated our relationship is, Anupamaa.", He said plainly.
"Mahi cannot do with this half broken, dysfunctional family. Her counsellor mentioned that she needs a normal life. Normal parents. Normal family.", He added.

"Something that I doubt is possible anymore.", He said looking away.
Anupamaa heaved a sigh.

"Papa?", They heard as they finally looked up at the door.
Mahi stood, half asleep, wiping her eyes.
"Why are you awake so late?", Vanraj said immediately jogging down to her.
"What are you doing with Badi Maa?", She asked softly, looking at Anupamaa with deep suspicion.

"Nothing.. just talking.", He said as he bent before Mahi, to reach her height. She placed a hand on her cheek.
"Beta, go and sleep. You have school tomorrow.", He said with a soft smile.
"You come with me.. I can't sleep without you.", She said, gaze fixed on Anupamaa.

Anupamaa looked back with a soft smile, but it wasn't going to melt Mahi's cold gaze.
It looked like Mahi was being fiercely protective about something, or someone.
Anupamaa realised, maybe it wasn't just her mother leaving.
It was also her father remaining alone while others found ways to move on.

Vanraj glanced at Anupamaa and gave a gentle nod, declaring the end of their discussion for the night.
Anupamaa nodded back, as Vanraj lifted Mahi in his arms and took her in.

Anupamaa had not guessed anything of this sort was possible, but now, when she sat back - she started thinking about it.
Her life had fallen like a pack of cards when she had decided to love again.
She chose to believe, moving on was the worst thing she had done.

She just wanted to find peace and work.
Work had been good though.
Even after the traumatising end to her relationship, she had won the Superstar Chef Competition, earned money and volunteered to open a branch of Spice and Chutney here in India.

As a partner to the restaurant, she wanted to make it a proper franchise.
And as of her personal life, she had no hope or wish for love.
But the love of an innocent child who yearned for a mother?

She knew Mahi was a good child.
Understanding, mature and calm headed. It truly was heartbreaking that such a child was so torn apart internally.
She sat on the swing in silence.
Her own torn heart did need affection to heal.

And this could be her healing.
None of her own children had loved her back in the true sense, apart from Samar, who wasn't here anymore.
Could she earn the love of a child who called her Badi Maa?
Maybe they could help each other heal.
If Mahi had the power to change a man like Vanraj, would she not be able to heal Anupamaa?
And if Anupamaa had the power to stand right back up after watching her cherished relationships fall apart, would she not be able to heal Mahi?

She stood up, determined.
She drew in a deep breath and walked into the house, almost tip toeing the Vanraj's bedroom.
She pushed open the door.
"You need to sleep.", She paused immediately, neither of them had noticed her presence.
"I will sleep, Papa. First you shut your eyes.", Mahi said, almost commanding. She had made Vanraj lay on his pillow, while sitting beside him, hand on his forehead.
Vanraj sighed.
"You are slowly turning into my mother.", He said with a soft smile.
"Sleep na!", She snapped at him. He nodded and shut his eyes immediately.
She gently caressed his hair back.