Chapter 2: REASON TO LIVE

London:Valora are you done in there yet?.

Valora:No..Mom..give me five minutes.

London:Val five minutes is too long you need to go for your ballet class now.

Valora:Mom.. seriously.

London:You are doing this deliberately aren't you?..

Valora:Um..

London:Baby.. you're me..I used to do this as a kid too..I know you don't like going for the ballet classes..you literally pull this stubborn stunt all the time.

Valora came out of the restroom and stared at me with a long face.

Valora:Mom now that you know..Why can't I just quit.

My face fell in disappointment but I flashed a weak smile.

London:*Sighs*

I got down on my knees to meet her and hold her shoulders gently.

London:No..sweety you can't..not right now..in fact never.. because you signed up for this..

Valora: That's the point Mom..

London:Shhh.. listen to me.. Whatever it is that you do..do it wholeheartedly.. without compromise or quitting.. and plus you have a goal..you told me that you want to win the ballet trophy right?..so why quit now?..

Val looked down feeling unconvinced.

London:I know it's hard.. I know it's pressurizing to go through the necessary things to become a skilled ballet dancer..but that's just part of life honey..this pain and stress in order to get to the top is part of life.. everyone goes through it..I went through it..so you can too.Ok.

Valora:Yes Mommy.I will for you.

London:No..for you.Do it for you.

I kissed her softly on the forehead before we both left for the ballet class.

(A while later..

Valora:Mom..guess what?..

London:What?..

Valora:I was picked for the competition!.

London: That's amazing mi amor.

I hugged her tightly.

London:Now don't you feel good that I motivated you.

Valora:Yes..

London:Mm..hm..but it's not always about motivation..you need to tell yourself things sometimes and just believe that you can do anything..no matter how hard it is.

Valora:That preety much sounds like a motivational speech to me.

London:*Chuckles*..My God!.. you're so coy..just like me.

I smiled at Valora and she smiled back at me before her smile vanished slowly.

London: What's wrong sweety?..

Valora:Mom..you always say that I look like you and I am you..but..I just wonder.. isn't..I know you don't like talking about this but.. isn't there any trait I have..of Dad.

My heart stopped hearing that.I suddenly did not know what to say and just stared at her silently.

London:*Exhales*..

I smiled weakly and held her hands.

London: Princessa..I wish I knew..I..

Valora:Mom..like you said..I am you..so obviously I know when you're lying.

London:*Sighs*..Ok.

I felt tears in my eyes as I looked at her.

London: Well..The truth is..you look just like him too..

Valora stared at me with her mouth slightly open almost expressing joy.

London: You're not pale like your mom..you got this beautiful light golden complexion from him..and his devilish smirk.His hair.. his laughter..his kind soul..you got all that from him my love.

Valora smiled at me with tears in her eyes.

London: Thankfully you have my face and my eyes..You chose good with that one.

Valora:*Giggles*..Then where's my father Mom?..

I couldn't hold back my tears and just felt it rush out of me.

London:Val honey..Uh..We should get going.. let's go home..enough questions.

Valora:Mom.. I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry..I just wanted to know where..

London:Please.

Valora looked down feeling embarrassed and nodded slowly.

(A few moments later..

Damien: I'm home ladies..

(No reply)

Damien:Uh..Val..El..Where are you guys?..

Damien went to Valora's room and met her crying while sitting on the bed.

Damien:El's doppelganger.. What's wrong huh?..Why are you crying?..Did your Mom scold you?..

Valora: Damien just leave me alone..I don't wanna talk to anyone..

Damien: Like mother like daughter..You know a few years ago your mom would do this to me all the time whenever she would get upset.And I mean really upset.

Valora: Yeah.. that's because she's your friend.

Damien: Exactly.. which means you're my friend as well..since you're hers.I'm her right?.

Val looked up at Damien knowing he was right.

Damien:And friends tell stuff to each other.So tell me what happened?..

Valora: Well..It happened at my ballet class..well outside..and we were talking about Dad..

Damien's face became confused and surprised hearing this.

Damien: Well what did she say?..

Valora: Well..She said I also look like him..cause I asked her if I had his traits too.

Damien:hm..hm..

Valora: You've seen him before right?..You must have..I just wanna know where he is..I want to meet him.

Damien:Val your father is dead!.

Valora:What?..

Valora stared at Damien in shock and confusion.

Damien looked at Val in worry.

Damien:You are the reason your Mom is alive.. otherwise she would have ended her life long time ago.I'm sorry it came out this way.. I'll go make your favorite dessert and help you sleep ok.Just forget about this conversation.It'll be ok.

Damien left the room leaving Val in utter shock.

Val:No.. Damien..I feel he's living..My father is alive and I know it.