7. the truth untold. ⚠︎

TW: Mention of suicide, depression, murder, trauma, death, smoking & drinking which is injurious to health, slight smut.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

CHAPTER VII

"Depression in her mind, poison in her blood"

|AUGUST 15TH, 2008|

MRS. JEON'S ANGUISHED cries disrupted the calm of Jeon's residence on the humid evening of August 15th, 2008, after her daughter, Yeorin , vanished without a trace.

Thus started a perilous odyssey that would engulf the small lakeside village in a vise of terror and uncertainty.

Jeon Yeorin, an 6-year-old, the sister of Jeon Jungseok and Jeon Jungkook with a love of adventure, was last seen playing in her family's front yard at 5:00 p.m.

When she didn't return home for supper, her mother became increasingly anxious and launched a frantic search of the surrounding region, seeking the assistance of neighbors and law officers.

Following Yeorin's disappearance, a huge search was begun, including the whole grounds of Jeon's residence and its surroundings.

Despite the painstaking efforts of search teams and concerned volunteers, no trace of the missing girl could be found, leaving her loved ones with a gnawing sense of dread.

Five excruciating days later, a terrible discovery was discovered that sent shockwaves across the close-knit town.

A local fisherman discovered a horrific find while throwing his line into the peaceful waters of Tapjeong Lake; a young girl's lifeless body floating just beneath the surface, her once bright spirit extinguished by unknown.

Alongside Yeorin's body, investigators uncovered a series of chilling clues that would serve as the linchpin of their investigation:

A faded stuffed bunny clutched tightly in Yeorin's hand, a poignant symbol of innocence lost.

A delicate silver locket containing a photograph of Yeorin and her family, its chain twisted and tarnished.

Clothing articles, including a torn jacket and muddy sneakers, bearing traces of forensic evidence linked to the crime scene. Footprints in the sand near the water's edge, suggesting multiple individuals had been present at the scene.

Equipped with these pieces of proof, law enforcement officers set out on a tenacious quest for justice, resolved to hold Yeorin's killer accountable for their horrific act.

However, the unsolved murder of Yeorin remained large over Tapjeong Lake, casting a long shadow of suspicion and anxiety over the formerly beautiful family as the days moved into weeks and the investigation continued.