19. lies.

TW: B!lood, Schizophrenia(Mental disorder), M!urder, Surgery, Doppelganger.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

CHAPTER XIX
"I have got a list of names and yours is in red underline"

|4 YEARS AGO|

The wedding hall was a dream come to life. Cascading flowers draped over elegant arches, and soft, golden lights bathed the room in a warm glow.

The scent of roses and lilies filled the air as Kim Yong-eul stood at the altar, his heart pounding with anticipation. Chaeyoung walked down the aisle, her smile radiant and pure, her eyes locked onto his. For that moment, they were the center of the universe.

The priest's voice echoed through the hall, solemn and sacred. "Do you, Kim Yong-eul, take Baek Chaeyoung to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," Yong-eul said, his voice unwavering, eyes only for Chaeyoung.

"And do you, Baek Chaeyoung, take Kim Yong-eul to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," Chaeyoung responded, her voice a melodious promise.

They exchanged rings, sealing their vows with a kiss as the hall erupted in applause. It was a perfect moment, captured in time, a promise of forever.

Two years later, the once warm home felt cold and distant. The clock struck midnight as Chaeyoung walked through the door, her shoulders slumped with exhaustion.

Yong-eul, hunched over in the dimly lit living room, looked up, his eyes shadowed and wary.

"Where were you?" he asked, his voice tight with suspicion.

"Traffic was terrible," Chaeyoung replied, her voice tired but gentle.

Yong-eul's eyes drifted past her, focusing on the faint, eerie shadow that seemed to hover just behind her. It was a dark, almost formless figure, whispering insidiously in his ear. "She's lying," it murmured. "She's hiding something."

Yong-eul clenched his fists, trying to drown out the voice. "I worry about you," he said, his voice betraying a hint of desperation.

"I know," Chaeyoung said, her eyes softening as she reached out to him. "But there's nothing to worry about. I love you."

The shadow behind her seemed to flicker and grow stronger. "She's deceiving you," it hissed. "She's unfaithful."