CHAPTER 1

IVAAN'S POV

"Hemorrhage is too much. We immediately need blood."

Today is the day that I am going to perform surgery on a 10-year-old girl, named Misha, who was diagnosed with a brain tumor. She is the sweetest patient of mine. It pained all the doctors and staff to watch her crying in pain when she came for the surgery.

A nurse came running to the OT, "Sir, we don't have the blood for this patient as just a while ago, B positive blood was donated to another patient, it was a case of pregnancy."

The scalpel in my hand stopped, 'cause if we didn't get blood in just few hours, I won't be able to save this sweet girl. "Go on with the surgery, am coming in few minutes," I said and went out. Suddenly I was crowded by Misha's family who wanted to know how the surgery was going. When I told them we needed blood immediately, her father was the one who wanted to donate, but due to his health condition, he couldn't.

"Don't worry sir, we are trying our best, we will give our 100%. Please co-operate with us. And please, try to find someone who can donate blood for your daughter, 'cause she really needs it," I said and walked away from there and straightaway went to blood bank.

"Nurse Kriti, by whatever means arrange blood group B positive, it is very urgent. Contact other blood banks, hospitals, whatever is in your reach. Just be quick, we don't have much time," I told her.

"Yes doctor Khanna, I'll be on it."

The whole blood bank is searching for the blood to match and still there is no news. All of a sudden, a ward boy came and said blood was arranged. Those words were the greatest relief for all the doctors and nurses who were present at the OT.

The surgery went on for 7 hours. I disposed of my gloves, mask and washed my hands. I went out and saw Misha's family waiting and praying for the surgery to go well. They came rushing to me, and started asking me questions after question. They were not even giving me chances to tell them anything.

And I couldn't stop my smile that threatened to come out of my lips.

"The surgery was successful, Mr. & Mrs. Gupta. Misha is alright, she needs to be on observation for 1 week and after that period only I'll be able to tell if she needs further medical assistance or not."

Those words for them were like magic potion, and relief washed over them.

"Than..nk you doctor Khanna. Thank you so much." Mr. Gupta started to sob.

"I did my work, Mr. Gupta. It is my profession to save my patients. If you want to thank someone, then thank your daughter, because if she wasn't that resilient, then we couldn't have done anything. Your daughter is so strong, she never gave up. Thanks to the god, whom you were praying from morning, because they did hear your plea and granted it. And yeah, you can meet her after 4 hours."

I excused and walked away towards my cabin, when suddenly Mrs. Gupta came running.

"Doctor Khanna, we would also like to thank the person who gave blood to Misha" she asked. A frown was etched on my face because I didn't know who it was. I'll have go tomorrow at the blood bank to know about the donor.

"Sorry ma'am, but I don't know who it was, but if you ask in the blood bank, they'll let you know. Excuse me."

Just when I was entering my cabin, I smelled the exact fragrance that I got a whiff from her on the first day, 12 years ago. My hands stopped on the door handle and my heart started to beat at an erratic rhythm.

I was scared of what if she was there, right behind me, at my arms length. I'll be able to see her. That thought scared the fuck out of me. In these 12 years, things have changed so much, and I had no idea what I was going to do if, right now, I saw her.