Chapter 36: Epilogue

This the last chapter. It has been fun to write this story and I thank all of you who have read it and liked it. 🥰

2 months later.

Darya screamed and her hand squeezed Aemond's tighter, making him grunt, but he did not protest. Her mother was on her other side, running a cloth over her forehead and trying to help her. The midwife kept telling her to push and Darya swore she was going to feed the woman to Aegarax. The woman gave a particular harsh command and Darya lifted her hair and glared at her.

"What the fuck do you think I am doing, you cunt?" She snapped, wanting to kill the woman. "Stop telling me what to do and just get him out of me. I need this over with, there is no way I can take this much longer."

"We are really close princess." The woman's calming voice grated on her nerves. "A few more minutes and we will be done."

"Stop saying we!" Where was a knife when she needed one? "I am the one giving birth, you are not in any fucking pain."

Another wave hit her and she felt her belly tighten, a scream leaving her throat and making Aemond jump.

"There it is, princess." The midwife cried excitedly. "A few more minutes and your child will be here."

She continued to push, feeling like her insides were being torn apart. She gave one last push and felt something slip from her body before falling back on the bed and taking deep breaths. It seemed like hours, but a few seconds went by before she heard a loud cry. Aemond helped her sit up, moving to sit behind her so she could lean against his body and the midwife handed her the dirty babe, wrapped in a blanket. Even covered in blood he was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. He was a hefty babe, with silver hair and pink lips. She had trouble looking away from him. She protested when one of the midwives took him, but the woman gave her an understanding smile.

"We will just take him to the basin, princess." The woman pointed to where a basin with hot water had been set up on the other side of the room. "While we are cleaning him, they will finish cleaning you."

Darya nodded and allowed the woman to take her son away before turning to look at her husband. "Did you hear that? We have a son."

"I heard." Aemond kissed her lips. "Thank you," Another kiss. "Thank you." He seemed almost overwhelmed. "He is magnificent."

Darya nodded her agreement before allowing one of the midwives and a maid to help her. They took care of the afterbirth and cleaned her, before helping her change into a comfortable light purple nightgown. They changed the sheets on the bed before helping her lay down and then they placed her son in her arms. Darya kissed the babe's head, smiling at how beautiful he was. Her child was perfectly formed, with ten fingers and ten toes, he was so tiny and defenseless. She had never felt such a wave of protectiveness and love for someone she had only met a few minutes before, but she knew that for her child she would burn the world to the ground.

"He is beautiful, my love." Her mother gave her a teary smile and kissed her forehead. "He will be a mighty prince and a great king one day."

Darya smiled. "Thank you."

"Congratulations, Aemond." Her mother smiled. "The little prince looks just like you."

"Yes," Aemond swallowed, not seeming able to form words as he ran his finger over the babe's tiny hand. "But he will be better, much better."

"I am sure he will." Her mother kissed the babe's head. "Have you both chosen a name?"

Darya looked at her husband and gave him a small smile, watching as he swallowed before looking at her mother.

"We were actually wondering if you would allow us to name him Jacaerys." Her mother seemed too stoned to speak. "While your son was not able to be king, we are hoping that his name will live on."

"I..." Tears ran down her mother's face as she tried to speak. It took her a few times before she was finally able to get the words out. "That is a wonderful idea, thank you."

Darya nodded and looked down at her son. "Welcome Jacaerys, we have been waiting for you."

She could not imagine happiness greater than this one. Her family was together, her son was safe and healthy and the kingdom was finally at peace. There was nothing else she could wish for. Everything she needed was right there.  

                                                                       Darya Velaryon (17 years old

                                                                       Darya Velaryon (17 years old.)

                                                                   Jacaerys Targaryen (Newborn

                                                                   Jacaerys Targaryen (Newborn.)