Chapter 10

Plans for the war continue, frustrating Darya at her parent's indecisions and some of their plans. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Her mother told them all of the truce Otto Hightower had offered. Her mother was truly thinking about it, which shocked Darya and angered Daemon. Darya was not opposed to a truce if she believed that they would keep their terms. She knew Otto Hightower and how ambitious he was, he would not hesitate to kill them all as soon as he was able. The man would not allow them to live, knowing that they would all be a threat to Aegon's rule.

"It's not an easy thing for a man to be a dragonslayer." Her stepfather said quietly. "But dragons can kill dragons and have. The simple truth is this: We have more dragons than Aegon."

"Viserys spoke often of the Valyrian histories. I know them well." Her mother's voice was almost subdued. "When dragons flew to war everything burned. I do not wish to rule over a kingdom of ash and bone."

One of the lords gave her mother a questioning look. "Are you considering the Hightower's terms your grace?"

"As queen, what is my true duty to the realm, Lord Bartimos?" Her mother looked to be thinking for a moment. "Ensuring peace and unity? Or that I sit the Iron Throne, no matter the cost?"

Daemon was not pleased. "That's your father talking."

"My father is dead." Daemon moved around the table. "And he chose me as his successor to defend the realm, not cast it headlong into war."

"Your father was blind and refused to see what was right in front of him." Everyone turned to look at her, shocked that she had even spoken. Darya had been quiet during the meetings, and while she did not want war, she did not think that the solution was to give in to Otto Hightower. "He made you his heir and surrounded you with enemies, he did not boost your claim when he had the chance and surrounded himself with men who would rather burn everything to the ground than see a woman rule over them. I do not think this is the time to be thinking about what your father would want you to do."

Her mother should have thought about that while the king was alive and able to do something. Now they were all thrown into a war and there was nothing that could be done, they would not be safe as long as Aegon sat on the throne and had his mother and grandsire on his shoulders.

"The enemy has declared war." Daemon turned to her mother, anger written all over his face. "What are you going to do about it?"

Her mother's eyes did not move away from Daemon. "Clear the room."

Darya left, annoyed that she had been thrown into a war that had nothing to do with her. She would not be queen and would not inherit anything, her life was in danger for the simple fact that she was her mother's daughter. Maybe Aemond's idea had not been so bad, she should go to the Free Cities and forget all about the stupid war.

"You should have not defied our mother." Jace's annoyed face appeared in front of her. "She is the queen."

"Not for long if she plans to listen to Otto Hightower." She raised an eyebrow. "And I was not defying her, I was giving my opinion, which as far as I am aware I am allowed to do."

Jace still did not look pleased. "She is going through a delicate time."

"We are all going through a delicate time." She narrowed her eyes at her brother, annoyed with his complacency. "Our lives hang in the balance, a war is about to break out and our mother is sitting here waiting for the answers to fall out of the sky."