Chapter 18

Aemond and Helaena talk about the future. Darya and Daemon talk about some of what happened in Kings Landing. I hope you guys like it 🥰

4 days later.

His mother had not come out of her chambers, she had screamed any time one of them tried to talk to her. She had cursed Rhaenyra, Daemon, and everyone in between. She kept saying they should have killed Darya, that the woman was to blame for everything. While it was true that his niece had become a bit unhinged it had not happened until Criston had beheaded Jace. He had seen the way her eyes changed, they had become dark and hatred had consumed her beautiful and delicate features. They were lucky she had not set the entire capital on fire because he had seen the intent. She had wanted to burn everything and everyone and he was lucky to have come out alive.

Even after everything that had happened, Aemond felt hope that Darya did not hate him as much as she believed. She had the chance to kill him and no one would have been able to stop her, but she had not taken it. Aemond was not sad or even upset at the death of Criston and his grandsire. The knight of the Kingsguard had become more and more arrogant as the years passed like he was greater than he was. His grandsire had always been an idiot who had tried to make their Targaryen blood weaker. He was happy to see both men dead, even if his mother would not agree with his assessment. The one thing that would make things very difficult for them was the destruction of the Lannister fleet. Not one ship had been salvageable and Tyland Lannister was incensed at the loss.

"Is she still not talking?" Helaena stepped beside him. "The maids said that she has started eating a bit more."

"I guess that is good news." Aemond let out a sigh. "Where is Aegon? I have not seen him today."

"He is in Flea Bottom." Aemond could feel his eye twitch, his brother was the most worthless man he had ever met. "He left in disguise."

"Is he aware that the small folk hate him enough to kill him?" Maybe that would solve all their problems. "He is a fool."

"I will not deny that." Helaena did not seem concerned about Aegon in the least, not that Aemond blamed her. Their brother had never been kind to his wife. His sister gave him a curious look. "I was told you gave the order to send Jace and Vermax back to Rhaenyra."

"Yes, he deserved at least that much." He was not happy about the way things had happened. Criston Cole had no right to do what he did. If Rhaenyra and Daemon had not hated them before, they sure did now. There would be no chance of forgiveness or redemption in their eyes. Aemond turned to his sister. "What do you see?"

"What do you mean?"

"The last time we spoke you said you saw the death of dragons." His sister seemed to understand what he was saying, but he wanted to make sure. He did not like it when she gave him vague responses that made no sense. "Do you still see that?"

"No, not entirely." She frowned in confusion and he could tell she was trying to find the words to explain herself. "Things are changing too fast, I cannot tell what will happen next."

Aemond swallowed "What about Darya?"

"What about her?"

He hated the idea but had to ask either way. "Will she marry Cregan Stark?"

"No," Helaena's answer was definite and she looked very sure of what she was saying. His sister's look was a bit sad. "Your destinies are tied together and neither one of you can escape it. You will both marry and rule together or you will both die. There are no other choices."