Ch 17 - Aww

** Luke's POV **

Well, that was a good talk. I think we learned a lot about each other, and we kind of sort of made some plans. But then I had to make another call that I had been dreading.

It had been a week, and I hadn't heard from Gina. I could have just let it go, and probably should have. But I had been feeling like doing the right thing recently, so I gave her a ring. I was actually surprised that she answered. Though, she wasn't exactly pleasant.

"Yeah?" She answered with an obviously annoyed tone.

"Hey, uh, I think I owe you an apology." The day I'm ever good with words will be the day Hell freezes over.

She practically screamed, "You think?!"

Damn.

I didn't take kindly to people getting rude with me. I had to take a second before replying so that I wouldn't yell back. "I'm sorry I was rude the other morning. I just don't want us to get into the habit of spending the night together. I thought you understood that, and was just surprised to see you still there. And I didn't know my mum was going to be there, either."

My calm tone didn't seem to phase her.

"You know what I think? I think maybe we shouldn't get back into the habit of you just needing me when it's convenient for you," she spat.

"Um, what?"

"I'm tired of just being a piece of ass when you need some, Luke. Either shit needs to get real, or you can go find yourself another toy to play with."

But she was just a piece of ass. "What the fuck, Gina? I thought we had an understanding?"

"You had an understanding, Luke."

Well, alrighty then. "You know what? Maybe you'll understand this: I have too much on my plate right now to deal with this shit. I don't need you anymore. Go find someone else to get clingy with, because I'm not down for that."

Fuck that shit.

I hung up and was so pissed that I even deleted her number. I hoped I didn't regret it later. No, I wouldn't regret it because I could have any girl I wanted. But not that night. I had a dinner to deal with.

I took my chances and went to the store alone because I didn't have enough food in the house to feed myself, let alone a small army. Luckily, it wasn't super crowded, and only the cashier recognized me and asked for a photo. The older lady behind me looked at us weirdly. I heard her ask, "Who was that?" as I walked away, pushing the trolley of food I had no idea how to cook.

I was on the phone with Mum before I was out of the car park.

"So, you do still need your mummy," she teased.

"Yeah, yeah, now and then." As much as I hated to admit it, the whole being independent thing was kind of a challenge.

Later, we were cooking up a storm as my guests started trickling in. I was trying my best to learn from her. Knowing how to cook a decent meal would probably be a good thing to know, seeing as I was going to have a little family of my own soon. Well, a kid anyway.

We did a damn good job if I say so myself. Becoming a little domesticated wasn't so bad.

Afterwards, when the parents had gone and it was just Calum, Mike, Ashton and I playing video games, I remembered to show them the photos I had of the ultrasound and Jordyn. I showed them the ultrasound photo first. I had never before heard them collectively "aww" over something. It was kind of very un-punk rock and we had a pretty good laugh about it.

Then, I showed them Jordyn's photo. In it, she was posing by a water fountain with her sister. It was a really good photo of them both. When I had first looked at it, it was kind of weird seeing her face again. Maybe there's a better word than "weird" to describe how I felt. But that's the best word I could come up with. Nice? Something like that. Whatever it was, I wasn't sure that I was comfortable with it, but in a good way. And that was definitely weird.

Michael was the first to say something. "Damn, bro. Not what I expected."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, like, she's so... pretty. Too pretty for you."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"She's not your usual type. You know, our usual type. She's more the 'hot without trying' type. Not 'I worked on myself all day in hopes that you'd fuck me' type. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say," he shrugged and turned his attention back to the game. It made sense to me, though.

"Obviously," Calum said, rolling his eyes at Michael's attempt to say exactly what I had thought all along. Then he added, "It's gonna be a beautiful baby, dude," and patted me on the back. I couldn't help but to smile.

Ashton hadn't spoken nor taken his eyes off my phone, and as I moved it away, he grabbed it and took a closer look. "Hold up. No. Are you serious? You said that's her sister, right?"

I nodded.

"No fucking way. Oh, man!" He gave the phone back to me and started laughing uncontrollably.

Calum asked, "Mind explaining yourself?"

"That's that girl who went ape shit when I wouldn't - " he paused and shivered dramatically, " - you know! Oh my God, it's all coming back to me. Remember, Luke? You asked if I got her number, hoping that you could get Jordyn's number from her."

"Fucking hell, dude. That's right! I'd forgotten about that story."

Michael exclaimed, "Oh shit, bro! You're bound to cross paths with her again sometime." He was beside himself with laughter.

Ashton covered his face and continued to giggle. Calum shook his head. "Sucks to be you, mate."

It would be an interesting reunion for sure. I made a mental note to ask Jordyn what her sister thought of Ashton. I'd love to hear her side of the story.

When Ashton sobered, he said, "It's not really my business, but how'd she get pregnant anyway?"

Michael answered that one. "Well, Ashton, when a boy and a girl like each very very much, the boy puts - "

"Fuck off, Mikey," Ashton chuckled and pushed him off of the beanbag that he was sitting on. "Seriously, I thought you were always careful. I mean, that's what you've said anyway."

"I was. Am. Except that one time." I shrugged and sighed. I was both joking and being serious when I added, "So let that be a lesson for you guys. Learn from my mistake. It just takes one time." One really great,... never mind.

"Well, they say everything happens for a reason. You never know, maybe this girl will end up being the love of your life." Underneath the asshole attitude, Ashton really was a sucker for romance, though he'd never admit it.

Other than a roll of my eyes, I didn't bother responding. I certainly wasn't going to admit that very thought may or may not have crossed my mind once or twice. Okay, maybe on a daily basis over that past week. Not because that's how I felt about her. I hardly knew her. But isn't it just natural to be curious about how it would be to live happily ever after with the mother of your child? Of course it is.

_____________
A/N: I saw that picture and had to use it for this chapter. It worked perfectly!

I'm sending each and every one of you a virtual hug for your compliments, votes, and comments. I don't think you realize how much I appreciate it. XO