38.Getting better

Hi! This chapter is something that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for FreeThoughts271 . So I want to dedicate this chapter to you ;-)
Hope you all will enjoy it and the last sentance will get you thinking;-)

Her strength had slowly returned to her since she returned home. The silence around her was unbearable, especially since Penny was used to these walls always being noisy since Andy learned to talk. However, Andy agreed to stay under Sam's care for a while longer because the doctors said that Penny needed a lot of lying down and resting and that standing and walking a lot was not advisable. This would be quite difficult to do with a seven-year-old under her care, so Penny didn't object when Andy agreed to Sam's offer.
Sam would drop him off after school and come back an hour or two later to pick him up, giving Penny a break from being alone and giving Andy some time with his mom. This way he also kept an eye on Penny and made sure she wasn't straining herself too much.

The small apartment in a housing estate far from the center was cosily furnished. Penny was lying on the couch reading a book when she heard someone knocking on the door. With a groan, she stood up and slowly walked into the hall. She opened the door and immediately smiled when she saw Andy and Sam's faces.

"Be right back!" Andy shouted as he passed Penny in the doorway and ran down the hall.

"How are you feeling?" Sam asked as Penny invited him in. He must have noticed that Penny was leaning against the wall and walking extremely slowly.

"It's better," Penny replied thoughtfully.

"But..." Sam wanted to deny it, seeing Penny nervously clutching her side, right where the bullet had hit her.

"Sam, the bullet punctured an artery. It'll take a while for everything to go back to normal," Penny explained stubbornly.

"But you know you're not allowed to stand for long," Sam stated more than asked, helping Penny to the couch.

"Sam, please. I know what I'm allowed and what I'm not allowed to do," Penny replied, offended.

"What are you arguing about this time?" Andy asked, standing in the doorway and looking at his mom and Sam with amusement.

"We're not arguing at all," Sam assured.

"It's my turn, Sam. I'll take care of Mom," Andy assured and gave Sam a high five.

"Very funny," Penny muttered under her breath before Andy went to close the door behind Sam.

"Sam told me you need to lie down and rest a lot," Andy said, returning to the living room. "Maybe you want to get some sleep?"

"Luckily for you, I can still use my hands," Penny said teasingly before grabbing Andy's arms and pulling him towards her as Andy tried to help her lie down. Andy fell laughing on the couch right above his mother's head, all Penny had to do was tilt her head back a little and their noses touched. "My prince," she smiled as she saw Andy grimace.

"Oh, Mom. You know I don't like it when you call me that," he groaned.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself, my little knight," she teased him, reaching up to tickle him lightly. "So what are we doing today?" She asked when Andy stopped laughing.

"You know what I want?" Andy whispered, smiling.

"Something sweet?" Penny asked, winking playfully as Andy nodded enthusiastically. "Jump over to the cupboard and check," she ordered, pushing Andy carefully forward.

"Can you eat chocolate, mom?" Andy asked worriedly, remembering well what was left in the cupboard.

"I no longer take such strong medications that made it so that I couldn't eat chocolate, among other things," Penny explained.